CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: good night on the natchuag
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: good night on the natchuag Reply with quote

last evening a couple of friends and I had a little while to steal away from their camp site so we went down to one of our favorite stretches of the river. We got on the water about 7:40 with two different size caddis hatching and another laying eggs. At about 8 the March brown spinners started to gather over the river. the fish were showing some splashy rises so as we were taking turns fishing Cory got fist shot at the fish. On about his 5th cast he hooked a nice 15" rainbow that made a good showing before coming to hand. at about 8:15 some Sulphurs started to hatch, then the larger E. Vitreus stated to hatch. I had a fish rise about 15 feet from me so I cast a grey winged yellow soft hackle at it wamo first drift crappy hook set it came off. Cory decided to head back to the camp fire, so i moved a bit down and his Brother Carl moved up. I had a couple refusal to my soft hackle so I cut it off and put on a Sulphur poly dun in sz 16 second drift over the riser it took. The brown came in kind of quick but as soon as it got to shallow water it shot back out into the current a couple of times. finally landed a nice 14" brown that looked a bit big in the body for it's head. all told we each caught 1 trout Carl got a nice 16" or 17" rainbow on a poly dun as well. the bugs were crazy the weather in CT this year has condensed many of the hatches on the free stones so that like last night there were 8 or 9 different species of bugs in the air and a couple of different stages of those. At one point at about 8:30 there were sz 12 march brown spinners, Pale evening duns E. Vitreus dun & spinners, sz 20 Blue winged olives, sz 16 Sulphurs, little green stone flies sz 18 laying eggs, tan caddis sz 14, green caddis sz 16 and a little grey caddis doing some egg laying. it was very cool to see. Most of the fish seemed to be taking either the emerging Sulphurs or the spinners of the March brown.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a boy Steve. Way to get out and give it a go.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Oh! I love it when the Sulfurs are hatching.
The fish go absolutely crazy for them Exclamation

I've fished pools one day and couldn't catch a fish and then the next day with a Sulfur hatch on and the same pool explodes with fish everywhere !

Good going !

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: