CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Trailer registration help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Trailer registration help! Reply with quote

So I recently purchased a small jon boat and trailer (10 ft flat bottom) and I registered the boat with ease. The problem is, when I went to register the trailer, I realized I nor the previous owner had any information on the trailer and I could not find a make/model or VIN anywhere on it. The previous owner thinks the trailer was built around 74, and it holds up great, but I cannot register it without any information. My question is, without a bill of sale, is there any way to register the boat by either declaring it as homemade or having a marina try to identify it? I've been trying to register it by fathers day so I can take my dad out fishing, Help!! Thanks
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 10 foot jon boat is small/light enough to carry in the back of a pick up or strap to the roof of my Subaru. For fathers day, I would recommend this option Smile. If you have a motor to set up it takes a little longer to get underway, but at least you can go legally.

As for registering the trailer, get the seller to write up a separate BOS for the trailer. Then you have to apply for a trailer vin, get a temp plate, tow it to Wethersfield for inspection, etc and they will assign a vin. Then you can register it. All the info is on the DMV website… I almost went through all this for an old car dolly but wound up selling it instead.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks a lot! That helps. This may be a stupid question but how can I ask the seller to write a bill of sale if there is no information to put on the bill? And would I pick that up at the dmv (he never registered the trailer)? Thanks!
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get an answer from the DMV I'd recommend calling the DEP HQ in Old Lyme. They were extremely helpful in telling me what forms I needed when the DMV refused to register my boat (it's so old it predates serial numbers.) A trailer is a little different, but I think the DEP staff has more patience and willingness to guide you in the right direction.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller can write the date of purchase, price, his name, your name, and any description of the trailer. If you don't have a year for the trailer - make one up. That's what they do at DMV anyway. Don't have a name brand for the trailer - make it up, or register as homemade. All they really care about is that you have some documentation showing that it is not stolen, and that it passes inspection. The rest is pretty much fill in the blanks the best you can. Try the DMV in Enfield. That's where I registered all of mine, and I was always in the same situation as yourself. It shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

register it as homemade,,,,
brennan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this one time...get there early in the AM and make sure it has all the requirements. Hamden was the place for me a few years ago.

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: