CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: What size jig should I be using?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: What size jig should I be using? Reply with quote

Should i be using a 1/2 oz. for general bass fishing?
Also, should i be using a Trailer hook with a Jig and Trailer?

Just one more cast...
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys i think would say a 3/8 oz jig for general bass fishing. If fishing heavier cover then a bigger jig would be better. I have never heard of anyone use a trailer hook on a jig before,just a trailer made from pork or plastic.
Good luck.
maybe Tralli could help you he is the JIG MASTER
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, if you're refering to a jig'n'pig setup I don't and would not use a trailer hook on them as it defeats the whole purpose of having a weed guard on them and you will probably get snagged quite often leaving you very frustrated. I say leave the trailer hook off. If for just a jig setup why would you need a trailer? You're not fishing it fast. Normally you would use a trailer for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits which you are retrieving at a good pace and at times the fish may short strike them, then it is a good time to put on a trailer hook.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha... Thanks for the tips... im trying to get more comfortable using Jigs. I will keep practicing... right now i have been just trying to fish them along weed beds. Letting them fall, and slowly hopping them along the bottom... The weeds make it hard to feel a hit sometimes, but im just trying to get the feel for it for now...

Just one more cast...
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could take you out on Bantam and show you what lttle I know about them. I have a few hundred or so on the boat in all sizes and colors so just bring a heavy rod with 20 - 30lb test!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great... What is your sced. like? I can do evenings during the week, or weekends...

Just one more cast...
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctfishtalk wrote:
The weeds make it hard to feel a hit sometimes, but im just trying to get the feel for it for now...

Marc, like you said keep practicing and keep at it. With the right rod/line setup you will be able to distinguish muddy bottoms to pebble bottoms, dragging through weeds versus an actual fish strike etc. Eventually when you get confortable fishing jigs you'll understand that "sixth sense" sensation that you feel of a fish strike be it a light tap tap or your line just feeling heavy. When fishing jigs it is a very helpful and good idea to keep a finger on the line whether running the line over your index finger or some guys palm the reel in such a way that they can keep the line between the index finger and thumb for extra sensitivity. Also practice being a line watcher because you will experience some strikes that you never even felt yet your line will start moving off in a certain direction indicating a fish has taken your jig. All in all, fishing a jig will increase your concentration/feel immensely as that is what is needed to become good at it. Good luck! Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Im setting up my baitcaster today as my "Jig rod"~

Just one more cast...
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, I will shoot you a PM.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on!

Just one more cast...
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that 1/2 ounce is much better for learning than something lighter! The whole trick in jig fishing is sensing the bites. Some times they will thump it,..and other times they will just inhale it and start swimming and you will just see your line start moving,....those are the easy bites and will probably be the only ones that you catch for a while. But then there are other times where the only clue that you get is that your jig "just doesn't feel right",.....
A heavier jig is easier to feel on the the end of your line,...so it makes sensing those bites a little easier. Usually in warm summer water the fish prefer something that moves a little faster anyways,..so a heavier jig that falls faster is probably a better bet around now even if you know what you're doing!! Wink
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip... Im excited to start practicing the jig...

Just one more cast...
mightyjock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Jig fishing Reply with quote

And keep that line slack out of the picture. You won't see the line move sideways when a bass picks it up if you have too much slack. Plus, you'll want to react as quickly as possible when you see/feel the bite.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i found that out yesterday! I found that out real fast...

Just one more cast...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: