CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: storm kickin slab,
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atkins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: storm kickin slab, Reply with quote

Im a fan of storm lures, and the wild eye swim shad is probably one the best lures ever made, but has anybody ever had success with the kickin slab,
I bought on a few years back and just never really used it, always hated how it ran, and was never comfortable with it.
marysbaitbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them for saltwater with the 5"-6" ones never used the small ones.
I just got for myself the 2" WildEye Live Shiner and Minnow and plan on trying them out they look pretty cool.
Remember To Take A Kid Fishing
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: storm kickin slab, Reply with quote

atkins wrote:
I bought one a few years back and just never really used it, always hated how it ran, and was never comfortable with it.

Thats your confidence talking to you.

You may get three pages of positive feedback about that lure, and in turn you may go out and throw it, but I've got a whole cellar full of lures that will never see the water again that says once your mind is made up about it, its hard to come back to it.

As fisherman, we tend to stick with what works for us...unless you have gobs of money and oodles of time, re: PECo...lol!
atkins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup,
Im a big fan of the the philosophy that every lure pretty much works, you throw a rigged up infant's sneaker it will eventually catch something, Your confidence in a bait is king.

Im far from having any real knowledge of kinesthetics, but I believe that every angler imparts unconscious movements upon his or her lures that factor into the success or lack there of, of a lure.

Long time writer for Sports Afield, Homer Circle, in his book, Bass Wisdom
wrote that if you take several lure, same make, model, and color, they will all work differently, and despite how you tune them some just never work right. He then wrote dive those to your novice fishing buddies to practice with.

A 5 dollar crankbait is not a Rolex, Its most likely whipped up in a matter of minutes. Goes to show you why the humble looking lures made by Stan Gibbs cost 20$.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of lures that I never use either. I think that, in general, a big freshwater fish is a lazy fish, so I prefer to fish slowly. That's why I like the wacky rigged Senko so much. Flipper caught the 41 inch northern pike in his avatar during September and it hit dead bait suspended underneath a bobber. It got that big because it's lazy. However, I have to admit that it IS a blast when a fish hits a spinnerbait or explodes on a frog. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unused lures hang around my apartment like ornaments.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not married, huh, atkins? Wink

The trees at trout ponds have so many bobbers and lures on them that they look like Christmas trees during the Winter:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, lol
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Van Dam said that he will go thru sometimes 50 crankbaits of the same kind until he finds the one that runs the way he likes. I too have hundreds of lures that I do not use, but it is good to be prepared for any situation you may come across on the water. Phil is right about big fish being lazy. They do not want to expend a lot of energy on a small meal. Most lures are designed to imitate a wounded baitfish, which is #1 as a prey item for predatory fish. I use live bait a lot because nothing imitates a wounded baitfish better than.............a wounded baitfish! I also use large minnows ie fallfish, golden shiners, and even sunfish. Big bait catches big fish - period.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco just loves stick baits such as senkos Razz

I have a tub of boxes i dont use =(

Though if your an avid tourney angler it does help to have various lures / plastics etc.

ha forgot what the subject was

I bought a storm slab and it swam like a turd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never used the slab but i can say the chug bug is the best popper i have ever used. By far the most productive lure i have used this season so far
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: