CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Backing.. Why is it use and is it necessary?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Backing.. Why is it use and is it necessary? Reply with quote

Ok Pro's,

Explain to me why "backing" is used and is it necessary? Question

Is it just to fill up the spool with a less expensive line? Rolling Eyes

Ron
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ok... Please also define this term for us less experienced anglers...

Just one more cast...
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing -

It is used so you don't have to fill your spool with that $25 line that you bought. First you take some old mono or whatever you have and fill the spool about half way. I typically use any 8lb or 12 lb that I had left over. Then tie on your "good" line (whatever that might be) and continue filling your spool. There are many knots to join the two lines. I use a Double Uni. When using backing on spinning gear I try to keep the knot on the bottom of the spool. It seems to stay out of the way while casting. If you put too much backing on and when you cast it is coming off of the spool. Then you put too much backing on and should take some off. Now I can fill more spools with that same $25 line than 1 spool. Laughing
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: 40+ years of fishing! Reply with quote

I have heard of backing before but have never tried it. Am I missing something? cmorjoe
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Ditto what Greg said. But also, backing is used when putting braided line on your reels. Some braided lines have a tendency for the last layers of line to undercut or sink into the layers of the line underneath because their line diameters are so small so that when go to you cast it = instant backlash Evil or Very Mad. So by putting a mono backing underneath the braid you are trying to minimize that from happening. Some people use backing for braided line and some don't. It all depends on how their reels are casting with whatever line they are using. You just need to try out your setup before you make that decision.
Jim
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought it was but wasn't to sure..
I haven’t used backing yet, I have always purchased the expensive stuff and just filled the spool.

I’ll try the backing.. Is there any rule of thumb as to what backing to use for what line. I don’t what to find out the hard way that Fluorocarbin and Mono don’t tie good together and they slip apart..

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim,

That explains some of the issues that I have been having.

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, go to Walmart or Dicks and get yourself a spool of Trilene or any cheap/decent line and use that. The ideal thing is to try and keep the line poundage and diameter similar to the good line you will be using on top because knots like the double uni IMO works better when the lines are similar. When the right amount of backing is spooled correctly on your reel, take an average size/weight bait you would be using with this reel and cast as far as you can. That backing line at the uni knot should never come off that spool. If it does then you have put too much on and need to remove some. You do an extra long cast because when casting normally like when fishing, you still want a good layer of backing on your reel and not be close to the uni knot. Hope this helps. Very Happy

Jim
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I use backing on all of my reels both spinning and baitcasters. I also agree with Jim that if you throw braid you definately need to use backing. Another benefit of backing is when you change your line, you only swap out the line down to the backing, re-tie to the backing and respool. You can respool twice as often with half of the line.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Backing Reply with quote

If all you ever fish for is bass and other small fish that aren't ever going to pull more than a few yards of drag,..then you don't really even have to tie a knot to join the lines. On my baitcasters all I do is use a couple of inches of electrical tape over the backing to hold the outer line on the spool!

Aside from just saving money, the other time when you absolutely NEED backing is when using braided lines. Braided line has two problems that the backing takes care of:
1) The braided line is slippery,..so if you try and tie it directly onto a smooth spool,..it will not grip onto the spool and it will slip and spin when you try and wind it under tension like when fighting a fish! Confused
The mono backing grips firmly to the metal spool and prevents this from happening! Even if you just tape the braid onto the backing (which I do..) it will not slip!
2) The braid is soft and spongey,..so if you create a thick layer of braid on your spool,..when you really pull on it hard, like when you are snagged or fighting a big fish,..it distorts like squishing a pillow! As the pillow squishes, the line under tension can dig into the innerlayers so it will be kind of snagged when you go to make the next cast,..and it just makes the whole spool not perfectly round anymore so it sort of wobbles whenyou cast, severely decreasing cast performance. In this case, the backing helps, just because it effectively increases the diameter of the spool so you end up with a thin layer of braided line rather than a thick, squishy one! The layers of mono backing are firm and hard,..they do not compress like the braid does! Cool
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Guys,

This really helps a lot, I'm glad I asked. Now I have some respooling to do..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Ron,
Ditto what Greg said. But also, backing is used when putting braided line on your reels. Some braided lines have a tendency for the last layers of line to undercut or sink into the layers of the line underneath because their line diameters are so small so that when go to you cast it = instant backlash Evil or Very Mad. So by putting a mono backing underneath the braid you are trying to minimize that from happening. Some people use backing for braided line and some don't. It all depends on how their reels are casting with whatever line they are using. You just need to try out your setup before you make that decision.
Jim

Bingo!!!! I use backing on all my reels that are spooled with braid. Braid has a much higher tendency to birds nest on you and backing helps cut down on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I have taken your advice and put backing on all my reels that I use braided line. So far so good.

Thank you for your help..

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: