CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: huge trout in salmon river
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streamfisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: huge trout in salmon river Reply with quote

I was just at salmon river fishing and saw five of the largest trout I've ever seen in ct. I caught several smaller ones from the same pool on worms but no luck with the big ones, tried powerbait, roostertails, different colors and sizes, phoebes all with no interest shown. Headin back tomorrow morning any pointers?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would throw some pinhead minnows in there w a split shot for the heck of it, but i'm no trout fisherman.
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use #6 #8 or #10 Salmon Egg Hooks (depending how finicky the trout are that day, I usually start with the larger #6 hooks and then downsize if I'm not getting bites) with one or two eggs of Berkley powerbait powereggs (I'm partial to Berkley's chartreuse eggs but a lot of other powerbait/trout scent specialty products/nuggets/eggs produce) threaded up the hook to the hook eye/knot of the line and then thread a mealworm on the remaining hook just exposing the hook slightly through the skin of the mealworm. Then one to two feet above the hook, throw on a small split shot weight so the bait will get near the bottom. Find pools where faster moving water pools up and cast into the faster water and drift the bait through the pool. It looks like you already found the pool so give it a shot! This technique always produces for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks slim I've heard the same thing from a couple other people and will be giving it a try when I head back again, hopefully I'll have some pictures to put up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: