CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lower Bolton 7/6 & 7/9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atkins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Lower Bolton 7/6 & 7/9 Reply with quote

7/6
Two bass, both on wacky senko on a flickit jig.

one perch, on a KVD 2.5 crank,

one pickerel on the same crank.

I hate paying 6 dollars for a lure, esp since they just slapped Vandam's name on the box, but this is the largest shallow running crank I could find.
Rendered both my baitcasters useless with massive backlashes, caught the side of the canoe casting out, the other with the anchor line, ugh.
One of the downsides of baitcasting from a canoe.

7/9
2 bass, one on a rapala dt-6, and one on a wacky senko on a flickit jig,
biggest was just under 2 lbs

1 perch on a sexy shad crank

1 crappie on the dt-6, and accidental fish, It hit the lure that was just draped over the side while i was taxiing
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I gotta check out Bolton one of these days.

I just spent over $500 for a couple of baitcasters and rods. I used them from the back of a bass boat once, but got unrecoverable birdnests in the dark. I also picked up a couple of inexpensive Shimano spinning reels that are so smooth that I'm doubting baitcasting is worth the effort. Is there a compelling reason for me to not just give up on it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: baitcasting..my 2 cents Reply with quote

MY 2 CENTS..

Take a few minutes to learn how to adjust the spool tension knob, and how much magnets/brake each lure requires, practice in your backyard or a small local pond...I still get birdnests here and there. While tossing a Koppers Frog my ZILLION just SPIT OUT my entire line/Horrible birdnest. ...it happens.....I respooled with brand new braid.....But NO WAY will a spinning reel cast a crankbait/lipless crank as far and with as MUCH ACCURACY as a Baitcaster(i dont care what any old DAWG says)....NEVER...its all about finess and taking time to properly set up your baitcaster with the lure you are using....dont give up so easily...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to throw a baitcaster for the first time in the dark is not what you should base your decision on IMO. Keep trying. It took me a bit to figure it out. However...even though I know how to throw a baitcaster now I even had trouble in the dark because you can't see when the lure is going to hit the water. If you don't get your thumb on quick enough you get a birdsnest. Luckily I didn't get any that were too bad the night I went. I never realized how much I was missing until I learned how to use a baitcaster properly. Give it time...the more you practice the quicker it will come. It also makes a big difference on the size lures vs. the type of rod you are using more so than it does with a spinning reel IME.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with my casting accuracy with spinning reels and can cast a mile with them. They're also quieter when using braid. I dunno. . . . Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont give up Phil,
this is my first year using them, spinning reels will always have a spot with me, and I use them more then the baitcaster, but once you get the caster going, the lure hits the the water quieter, any reaction strike bait (crank, spinnerbait, buzzbait) runs truer, also (Im still far from knowing how to do these well) you can flip and pitch which has almost zero sound when hitting. These techniques are really hard in a canoe or kayak.

Look up on you tube how to set the magnet brakes, and the cast control knob. makes a huge difference when its set up correctly. Mike at ct outfitters taught me how to adjust them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: