CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: looking for a pond full of shorts in the northeast corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: looking for a pond full of shorts in the northeast corner Reply with quote

Reading reports like Peco’s “Lake Basile” report from this weekend makes me wonder if there’s somewhere like that in the northeast corner of the state. Basically I’m looking for a pond with lots of action from smaller ~1-2 pound bass.

I’m interested for two reasons – first of all it sounds like a lot of fun to catch that many fish in a day! Second, my girlfriend is just learning how to fish (at age 21), but so far she’s been catching nothing but small panfish with little spoons (my gold phoebe is just about the only lure she’ll use). I’d like to get her to catch some bass....but it’s tough to do when bass are generally so few and far between compared to panfish. When she knows she could catch a bluegill or perch every 5 mins, she gets frustrated pretty quickly dragging a senko around for an hour with no action.

Not asking anyone to give away the location of their secret lunker pond… rather, where’s that spot you never go because it’s overpopulated with shorts? All I have is a 10’ “car topper” johnboat, so I don’t even need a real boat launch to put in. Thanks!

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
IceAddict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Morey Pond in Union. Lots of small bass and pickerel.
pondhopper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a trip out to crystal pond in eastford after hearing of a 9lber being in there. I figured it might be a lunker-rich pond, and it very well may be, but between my buddy and I , we must have hit close to 40 bass, all around 8". Kinda frustrating when you want to hook somthing descent and as soon as your bait hits the water you have a dinker smacking it every cast. But very fun if thats all your looking for!

We could have hit many more but we kept casting the deeper drop offs trying to find something bigger. I would imagine the place is like that throughout the whole summer. Give it a shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooohh excellent suggestion as i've been meaning to go to Crystal anyway! my grandparents have property there, and my grandfather asks me every time i see him if i've gone yet. we'll give it a try! i'm assuming you were catching all the little guys along the edges? thanks!

dcfryxell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crystal is much much bigger than basile... if youre looking for small ponds that not many people fish I'd suggest simply using google earth and looking for bodies of water. if there are no roads around it then you might have a spot that people dont often get to, and thats where youll catch big bass like it is nothing. i have not done much of that in CT but up in cape cod where everyone fishes salt or lake fishes for trout, it seems no one is going for lmb. lmb fishing up in the cape is unreal. i have 4 ponds a mile or so trail-walk through the woods from my parents house in dennis, ma and i have pulled out several fish over five pounds in the last fiveish years. often the funnest fishing comes when you find a pond that is hard to access so fishing pressure is minimal. the excitement of hooking into a fish when you dont even know the species composition of the pond is even better. you may need some waders though. check out golf courses around you and hit up their ponds after hours too (make sure to get permission and let them know youre fishing catch and release and for bass, not carp).
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out Crystal yesterday for about an hour and a half (didn’t get out there till 7 pm for various reasons). I was fishing a texas rigged green Yum Houdini worm… catching shorts left and right! I also caught a decent sized pickerel. I had the same exact rig tied on my girlfriends rod, but unfortunately she wasn’t getting anything at all! Not even any nibbles – frustrating. I think she was fishing it too fast, but the longer she goes without catching something the more frustrated she gets and the faster she fishes it…. sigh. She loved the pond though, so we are going camping/fishing there this weekend - hopefully she’ll have better luck next time around.

therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know of a remote pond that fits the description you’ve given… I need to take a walk out there first and make sure the area isn’t posted though. I haven’t been out there in a while… used to mountain bike by it all the time when I was a kid. Saw a gigantic snapping turtle laying eggs on the trail once – there must be a decent fish population in there for her to get that big!

therieldeal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, plenty more bass for me but still none for the girlfriend. Finally ended up putting some chunks of hot dog on a small hook so she could catch sunfish from shore at our campsite. She had several bass on throughout the weekend, but every time they jumped and threw the hook. Couldn't get the hang of tipping the rod to the side to keep the hook in... ah well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: