CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Claude Moore Park, Sterling, VA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Claude Moore Park, Sterling, VA Reply with quote

I'm working in Ashburn, VA all week so I found the closest pond I could. Im geared up w/ a portable fishing kit and some powerbaits 7" powerworm pumpkin and some senkos 5" green pumpkin. The park closes at 8. I fished from 10 of 7 til they closed the gate. I pulled in two LMBs and missed two others. All sniffs came on te senkos and all whifffs on the powerworms. The collapsable rod/Reel combo is awful. The reel is a pushbutton caster and the rod has 3 guides an is 5'6". The reel squeaks like a rusty old bike and retrieves like $4!+. I can place the bait pretty much where I want it tho so its fishable. It's like 100 degrees here and I caught both the fish in a deeper spot of the small pond from what I could feel with the bait. The big girl I missed was in 1-2 FOW under a grassy bank next to a lay down. She slammed the senko as it hit the water, into the sunken tree and must've wrapped the line around the branch cuz I had to break off at the hook and could see my senko dangling from the branch and watched the
Big tail slap of ol bassy girl as she swam away. Took a pic of the first one I landed a nice healthy fish. I'll up it when I get to my hotel. I hope to go back tomorrow and fish the other side where all the bushes overhang the bank and hopefully it's cooler there fr me and the fish. The website says they stock bass hereand they have a 12"-15" slot so let's hope I get out at a decent hour tomorrow to give it another go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding someplace to fish. My older sister lives in Herndon, VA, and looking at Google Maps made me really miss CT when I was out there. Fishable lakes and ponds are few and far between.

Last edited by PECo on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo, I was surprised myself that there is so little fisheries out here. Not really what I was expecting. We may not have the florida or california or texas fishery here, but for the size of our state, I think our waters are pretty fruitful. I hear the Beaver Dam Creek Reservoir is good here so I may go there tomorrow instead but I can cover the entire body of water at the park so I may stick there knowing whats in front of me. Hard to believe I paid $21 to fish in this state for a week Exclamation It was only $12 to fish in the vast fishery of Ocean City, MD last week Exclamation

C'mon! VA! Thats a ripoff!

Here are the pics as promised

Last edited by slim2043 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

Wacky Rigged Senkos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool report, thanks for sharing.
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished from 6 til 7:45 after work in VA. A t first I tried the small weedy pond I was at yesterday for a bit but the sun was killer. Too hot for me and too hot for the bass! And too much goose dung to boot! So I hiked around and ventured to the larger pond I could see on my map. This pond looked really shallow but had some cool channels and islands with overhanging cover that could be good for hiding hot fish so I threw a few casts at each spot I could reach and eventually made my way around it to the shady side. I nailed a decent fish dragging a whacky senko on the bottom. There was a bit of a deep hole in the pond maybe 20 feet from shore in the island channel where he was hiding. I threw a few more casts to the channel and then my squeaky R2F setup line got stuck in the reel and I casted off a senko! D'oh! I pulled off a ton of line and got it to work again. Covered in reel grease that was like melting in the hot sun I retied and threw in 3 more casts and then my alarm went off which meant the park was closing. Sad Sun wasn't even setting yet... So my VA State Fishing license @ $21 means I paid $7/hour and coincidentally $7/bass plus bait & hooks. Can't wait to get home to my family and CT fishin. Lets hope it cools off a bit too!

Tight lines!

Last edited by slim2043 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you got out there and caught something. Looks like a nice place but now for some reason my neck hurts Razz
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that! Up too late, forgot to flip the pics Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: