CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Onset Bay, MA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Onset Bay, MA Reply with quote

Has anyone gone shore fishing in Onset Bay, MA before? I’m going there on vacation in early August, and I’d like to give it a try. Any recommendations as far as fishing spots, baits, or lures would be great. Also I don’t even have any idea what species I could/should target… I’m not picky so I’m open to suggestions there as well!

Also, I don’t have any “actual” saltwater gear so I’d be using my sturdy freshwater setup that I normally use for carp. It’s a old Shimano baitcasting reel on a medium/heavy 6’6” rod. I have it spooled with 15lb mono right now but I could easily put something else on there if needed…

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Fishing Onset Reply with quote

As always, if you are strictly shore bound, your options are very limited. But onset can be a good spot for fluke, sea bass, scup (porgy to some). Really a little bit of everything. I was just in Marion about a month ago. The fishing was great. Its not like fishing CT. fish are very close to shore. The night scene from shore brought keeper sea bass, massive dog fish, and many a scup. You should do fine with 15, but if its no trouble, i would upgrade to something a little more beefy. Grab some squid, you can't go wrong. There's a stop and shop near where you'll be staying. 6 bucks for a 3lb box. you can fish it whole or cut it into strips. use a 2oz weight on a fish finder rig (sinker slide) with maybe a 2ft leader and a 2/0 or 3/0 at the end. you'll get a little of everything for some good fun. if you wanna step it up, use a heavier weight, bigger hook, and grab some chunk bait (bunker, mackerel, etc) from the local shop. There's a Walmart next door to the stop and shop for all your terminal tackle you'll need, and on that same strip there's Buzzard's Bait. Nice guys. They'll point ya in the right direction. If you have a minnow trap, find an area with some small bait (usualy killifish and mummichogs) make a dough ball out of oatmeal and bread for bait. we did well on those too. You'll do fine out there pal. there's a lot of fish to be caught. just don't waste too much time in an area that's not producing. when you use squid, the bites can be almost immediate for what you'll be catching. no bites in an hour or two, move on. using chunks, on the other hand, you may fish the same spot all week and only hit one or two. Good luck

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
therieldeal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for all the advice! i've been visiting Onset for years during the summer, but i never went fishing for some reason... should be fun! I don't have a minnow trap, but i'll consider picking one up. last summer there were HUGE schools of small baitfish in certain areas of the bay, so i'm sure i could catch some very easily.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: