CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/27 Reply with quote

I headed over to Spring Pond to kill a couple of hours while my son was at his Driver's Ed class this morning. I fished from 8:15 am to 10:00 am, in my Trophy 126 kayak. It was sunny and warm. For some reason, the sun seemed more intense than it was yesterday; it glared like a heat lamp. There was little to no wind. The water level seemed a little higher and it was still very murky, like absinthe louche, with only one foot of visibility. I launched at the culvert on the west shore and worked my way counter-clockwise around the south cove. I threw a frog over the weeds in the shallows on the west shore. I didn't get any hits, but really wasn't expecting any with the intense sunshine. I switched to a wacky rigged five inch watermelon/red flake Senko and worked my way up the east shore. When I got to the submerged boulders off of the middle of the east shore, I felt some weight on my line as I reeled it in and realized that there was actually a largemouth bass on the hook. It pulled like it was a three pounder, but turned out to be just a 14 incher:

I went up the west shore to the rocky beach before heading back to the north shore of the south island. The wind began to blow from the north and the cool breeze felt terrific. It turned into a beautiful day. I threw my wacky Senko at the boulder on the shore of the northwest corner of the island and it got picked up immediately by a 16 inch largemouth bass. This one didn't fight as hard as the first, but it caught a little bit of air as it tried to shake the hook:

By this time, the wind was blowing at 15+ miles per hour. I let it carry me back to the culvert, where a woman who was walking her dog asked how the fishing had been. While were were talking, a small mammal that was long and skinny, with light brown fur and some darker brown fur on its tail raced between us from the culvert to the bushes. As I said, "What the heck was that?", another one flashed by. I think that they might have been young American minks or maybe even young fisher cats. After the woman left with her dog, a couple of shore fishermen showed up. One went down to the shore by the culvert and the other one asked me where he could find some trout. I showed him where the park next to the Farmington River is on Wannowmassa Lane in Farmington on an iPhone map. As I packed up my kayak, they headed off in search of the trout. If you have a chance to get outside today, although it's wickedly sunny, there's a cool breeze blowing from the north. It's a beautiful day for a walk outside, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day for Hawaiian Shirts Too! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: