CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 08/18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 08/18 Reply with quote

I arranged to meet up with justinmorse (aka Justin) at Spring Pond this morning. It was cool and partly cloudy with very little wind when we launched at 7:30 am. The water was murky with visibility of less than a foot. Justin paddled my Future Beach Trophy 126. BTW, I'm thinking of naming her "La Calabaza". Whaddaya think? I paddled El Habañero. We launched from the culvert on the west side of the south cove and worked our way counter-clockwise around the pond. I threw a 3/8 ounce black/red War Eagle BB10 buzzbait. Soon after we launched, I got a couple of hits and boated a couple of 13 inch largemouth bass that were each tight to the west shore over the shallows:

I'm not sure that the buzzbait had anything to do with getting a hit, because the fish hit it as soon as it hit the water. I think that any other lure would have worked just as well. Justin threw a Heddon Torpedo over the shallows, but didn't get any hits on it. He soon switched to a Texas rigged purple seven inch Berkley Power Worm and I tied on a wacky rigged five inch watermelon/lemon laminate Senko. As we worked up the east shore of the south cove, I landed a 13 inch largemouth and a couple of shorts with the Senko:

When we got halfway up the east shore, just north of the south island, a decent largemouth finally came up from the bottom to hit the Senko on the retrieve:

It was 17 inches long and weighed two pounds, nine ounces. I got a couple of 15 inchers shortly after:

After we passed the rocky beach and basalt boulder, and entered the north cove, we got absolutely nothing by the water hyacinths in the shallows of the east shore. It wasn't until we got to the far northeast corner of the pond that I boated a short largemouth:

I paddled over to the shore near the Avon Water Company pump station to say "Hi!" to one of the Avon Crew Team members who's a good friend of my son. While I was over there, Justin finally got the skunk off of La Calabaza and landed a short largemouth of his own. Unfortunately, I wasn't close enough to get a photo before he released it. We paddled across the north shore and down to the north island without a bite. I boated another short largemouth off of the north shore of the island:

A little while later, after I switched to a fading watermelon/purple flake five inch Senko, I boated a 13 inch largemouth off of the east shore of the island:

I headed down to the middle of the west shore, just north of the south island, and got what I thought was a panfish nibble on the Senko. But when I began reeling it in, it began to pull back fairly strongly and steadily. I let the fish tire itself out before I hauled it to the surface. It was a 16 inch, one pound, 15 ounce largemouth:

Shortly after, at 11:40 am, light rain began to fall. Justin and I worked our way around the south cove again, but neither of us got any hits, and we got off of the water at 12:45 pm. I wish that I had tried a Carolina rig on the bottom and that Justin had been able to boat more fish. Crying or Very sad I tried to get him to throw a wacky rigged Senko, but he was too stubborn to give it a shot. Maybe next time, right Justin? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report! Nice job catchin' 'em.

I think you should name the boat "mi culo duele" it has a nice ring to it.
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job once again, how's the pond for launching a canoe? Ours is 11' fiberglass, and not too heavy at all. Looks like a nice spot for a quiet relaxing day of paddling and fishing.
Thanks
John
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

A canoe would be fine in Spring Pond. There are a couple of good, easy places to launch in the south cove.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will DEFINITELY give the Senkos a shot next time. I just felt like I'd have been betraying my trusty power worms. They've always treated me so well.

Good day of fishing for you, good day of kayaking for me. Smile

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Justin don't feel bad, I've never used them either, just not my thing. The wife and her family swear by the things, but I've done just as well as them never using wacky Senkos. Phil thanks for the reply, we're gonna be at our lake(Hitchcock) this weekend, but once we're done with the moving thing, it's time to start venturing into some of these nice small Ct lakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: