CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Hopeville Pond 8/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Hopeville Pond 8/13 Reply with quote

Went to Hopeville with my little brother last Saturday in my little john boat. Rowed around for a while, and I was pretty sure that I found “Flipper’s Cove”, so we dropped anchor and started fishing. Unfortunately I couldn’t find my bait bucket the night before, and didn’t feel like buying another one, so we skipped buying shiners and instead went with dead bait. In England those guys love to fish for pike with dead/frozen smelt, so I picked up some. I figured we would cast out the smelt, and fish for sunnies while we waited. Well… no action on the smelt all day, and only one sunny… what the heck! The sunny we did catch was one of the biggest I've ever seen, couldn’t even use it for bait. Ah well… better luck next time, I hope!

In other news some lady was walking her two goats (that’s right… she walks them like dogs) through the park, and one of them decided to eat a fish hook that was lying around by the shore. A crowd gathered as several people attempted to remove the hook with various pliers, eventually someone got it out. Felt bad for the poor goat, sucks when people leave hooks and whatnot lying around. However… why would you walk a goat in a public place like it's a dog? Goats do tend do consume ANYTHING...

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead frozen bait has never caught me anything. Fresh dead is another story. You may have thought that sunfish was too big, but I can assure you - it wasn't. There is not a sunfish on earth that is too big for a 38" pike, which I catch there commonly. Also, sunfish are very hard to come by in that cove (if you found it). Too many big predators. It's too bad you didn't bring a bucket and get bait. I have a feeling your day would have gone much different. Better luck next time with some better preparation. I will be camping there on Labor Day weekend, so I'll let you know how I do. Very Happy

I read on the DEEP fishing report that somebody got a 40" out of there last week. I was hoping it was you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah… I certainly could have prepared a bit better, but as usual nothing went quite right haha. Was going to get ready Friday afternoon but instead I was helping someone move, wound up getting home at like 10 something and loading the boat in the dark. Ah well… that makes sense though about the lack of sunnies in that cove. I wouldn’t hang out there either, if I was a sunfish…

Next time I will definitely bring live bait, one way or another! Good luck labor day weekend, maybe I’ll stop by to find out if I was in the right cove or not… Smile

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: