CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: How the heck to catch these trout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: How the heck to catch these trout Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was kayaking down in Squantz the other day and saw trout breaching the surface. They would literally jump about 6 inches out of the water. I thought in late summer they were supposed to be deep? Is this normal and if so, what are they going for and can anyone recommend how to catch them?

Thanks.

Ken
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably eating bugs... trout love bugs... that is why a lot of people love fly-fishing for trout...

You can catch trout all year long but I believe it is more an issue with the O2 levels in the warm water along with the fragility of the trout that makes Summer Catch and Release more difficult for trout...

I wish I could tell you what to use but I have never fly-fished myself... I catch trout with in-line spinners, spoons, and of course power-bait Smile ...

.. The DEP fishing report usually has a good list of what hatches are going which coincides with what type of flies to use if you are interested in fly-fishing for trout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyfishing would be the way to go when they are feeding on top like that. I have also had good luck with mealworms and a clear bobber. I bet crickets would work even better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at your surroundings and see what the fish are hitting.... most of the time every area is different. There have books on how to tell you to read the waters and so forth on how to go about it. Get into it i have and love it. You get a different perspective on fishing when you start catching them on the fly weither dry or wet.....
icetilt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know this post is a little late but if you see trout coming out of the water like that they are usually chasing an emerging fly. 9 out of 10 time the are chasing caddis when you see those big splashy rises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: