CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Stub Pond 08/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Stub Pond 08/20 Reply with quote

After getting skunked at Spring Pond in the morning, I had some more time to kill, so I shore fished Stub Pond from 11:50 am to 1:05 pm. It was still sunny and hot. I threw a Zoom Horny Toad and a Stanley Ribbit across the pond. I got a lot of hits from small fish and landed three short largemouth bass:

It wasn't much, but it sure beat the skunking that I got in the morning. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of hook do you use on the Ribbit? I used an ewg hook today but I lost a bunch of bites... was thinkin of trying the Stanley Wedge spring hooks...?
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Gamakatsu 4/0 Offset Shank Worm EWG hook, in red or black. I bury 1/8 inch of the tip of the hook in the frog so that it stays relatively weedless. You have to pause before setting the hook on a fish that hits a frog. Count to five, reel in any slack and set the hook like you're KVD or Mike Ike.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok I'll have to wait a bit longer. I believe those were the same hooks I was using yesterday. Thanks!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a short largemouth bass hits my frog, I'll sometimes set the hook through its eye. I once set the hook through a sunny's brain! Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ouch! When I was out Saturday something HUGE hit my frog and I didnt expect it...I was using my lighter rod/reel. I got too excited and set the hook way too early. It literally jumped out of the water...I felt like I was on TV or something.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip that I read is to look for the next spot where you want to cast while you're reeling in your frog. That'll slow down your reaction to a strike. It took me a while, but now I have a pretty good feel for how long I should wait before setting the hook. I got a lot of practice on Lake Basile earlier this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: