CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Rainbow Reservoir 08/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Rainbow Reservoir 08/24 Reply with quote

I fished Rainbow Reservoir with justinmorse (aka Justin) today. He paddled La Calabaza and I paddled El Habañero. We were the first car in the lot at the boat launch ramp. It was nice and cool even though the sun was glaring. There was only a slight west wind when we launched just after 8:00 am. I had never fished near the new dam before, so we headed east down the shore. While I futzed around with my gear (I accidentally spilled my coffee in my kayak when I launched Confused ), Justin fished a big laydown that's immediately adjacent to the ramp. He threw an unweighted Texas rigged seven inch Midnight Fire (aka black with red tail) Powerbait Power Worm and got a hit on the retireve. I asked whether it was a good fish and, yeah, it was. At first, Justin thought that it was a largemouth bass, but from the way that it was pulling, I knew that it was a smallmouth bass. When he got it to the surface, we could see that it was barely hooked through the inside of its upper lip and I was glad when he was finally able to lip it:

The glare was obviously too much for my iPhone's camera. Sorry about that, Justin! Confused The smallie was 18 inches long and weighed two pounds, two ounces. We joked about catching the lunker on the first cast and, unfortunately, that ended up being the case. We caught several small fish on the sunny north shore and in the shady coves:

My first four fish were a 10 inch smallie, another 10 inch smallie, a 12 inch smallie and a six inch smallie. Justin got a sunny on a roostertail and some little smallies. When we got to the buoys in front of the dam, we headed to the shady south shore. We had high hopes for it, but it just didn't seem to hold many fish. Justin got a small largemouth bass on the Power Worm. As the day went on, the wind rose until it blew at 10+ miles per hour. We decided to paddle west against the wind and toward the old dam. Along the way, I got a little smallie on a trolled silver Rapala Original Floater F07 and Justin got a yellow perch on the roostertail. But it seemed that the further west we went, the deader the bite became. We let the wind blow us back to the new dam from the old, where I boated a short largemouth bass with a wacky rigged five inch Senko. We headed off the water at about 3:00 pm. I don't know why, but they always seem to hold water in the reservoir when I'm there. There's never any flow. Today, suspended debris didn't seem to move at all, well, except when a powerboat blew by us or the wind caught it. Rolling Eyes I think that the lack of current is what killed the bite.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good day on the water. Thanks again, Phil.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys.

Tim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place can be tough. At least you guys were catching some. Nice fish Justin!
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place can definitely be tough....glad there was a nice size SMB caught. Theres a handful of Smallies in there...big ones few and far between.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woman in a green Wave Walker pontoon-style kayak with a fishfinder said that the smallies were holding near the bottom where it dropped from 11 feet deep to 25 feet deep on the north bank to the west of the boat launch ramp. I tried drop shotting with a 2-1/2 inch Gulp minnow for a while, but didn't get any hits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good smallies in there for sure. A few weeks ago i was with a buddy whom fishes live bait and was fishing live crawfish. It was rediculous to the point he was pulling up 2lb to 3lb smallies on every rehook all while anchored and fishing nomore the 10' from the boat. I fished a DS for three hours and got skunked. If you like fishing live bait get some live crawfish and go to town.

The lady you saw is "Roxy" and she fishes rainbow alot and does very well there. She can fish and knows her stuff. She lives not to far from me and is a memeber of the other site i believe or was soe time ago.

Rainbow can be tough for sure and current seems to turn the bite on abit. There are fish in there but it can be frustrating. go there and handfull of times a year mainly when im dragged there by buddys whom want to go there. not my favorite place to fish but it could be worse.
Hookset7073

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught my biggest Smallie of my life in there. 61/2 pounds on a Rainbow Trout Husky Jerk. That was March of 08. Place has giant fish in there, just gotta throw the right baits for them and not get discouraged because it can definitely be slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: