CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: not a keeper being 'kept'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishmom3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: not a keeper being 'kept' Reply with quote

OK - I want to preface by saying I am not judging anyone. Just wondering.....

As I spend more time fishing, and fishing in more places, I have noticed that quite a few people are fairly liberal with the fish they choose to keep. I explain to my kids that the rules are in place so the fish can continue to expand their population, keep growing and so we will all have a chance to catch a big fish.

I tell them it is good luck when you throw it back because it will come back next year bigger blah blah blah.......

And they are cool with that. Its gets awfully hard though, when people fishing around you don't throw back shorties. We've witnessed Porgy, Fluke (flounder - still not sure of the difference) and yes, even Stripers, all 'kept'......under a towel, under a lid, etc. that should still be swimming today.

Is there ever an undercover 'guy' that goes around a checks?? Is there every any enforcement or are we all just on the honor system?
fishingkid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely never see a Winter flounder caught anytime soon. 800-842-4357 is the number to the DEP to report poachers.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and judge.

Today, I heard about a local riparian (i.e., waterfront) landowner who will no longer allow people to launch their boats from his property because someone fished from his property without permission and left trash all over the shore. Come on guys, don't litter. And if you happen to drop something, pick it up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you Phil!

I always seem to fill the back of my pick-up with garbage day after Opening Day!

Some people just don't give a dam! -> and screw it up for all the responsible sportsmen/women Exclamation

SeaDog1
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went fishing today off a Pier where there was a Trash bag tied to the riling and still there was trash all over the place! Thats just plain F"ing laziness! While I picked up all the trash there I missed a dang good run with my Bait Runner as I was 1/2 way down the pier. Al, I heard was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and I ran and just w\hen I git to the pole it went dead and the bait was gone, thanks for that you dirt bags, you know who you are!!!!!!! As for shorties, I always say thats too short or thats a keeper when they reel it in just to let them kn ow someone is watching!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report them. Let the JUDGE judge them. There is no excuse for them to take short stripers. They can go load up on all the sunnies they want if they like to eat small fish. I actually had 1 guy tell me he paid 10$ for his license so he's gonna take whatever he wants. crazies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a guy catching and keeping a lot of snappers one day. The next day, I talked to him and he said he caught about 100, and kept everyone of them. WTF is wrong with people?
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishingkid wrote:
I saw a guy catching and keeping a lot of snappers one day. The next day, I talked to him and he said he caught about 100, and kept everyone of them. WTF is wrong with people?

Aspartame, Fluoride, Mercury, television, the list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
fishingkid wrote:

Aspartame, Fluoride, Mercury, television, the list goes on and on.

yes, those are all bad things, but how do they make people keep 100 fish?
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a violent man, but I have been known to let people know that I will break their jaw for skrewing up the fisheries that i love so much.

DEP# 806-424-3333
Tell them exactly where you are so they can get someone out there quickly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was always taught as a kid never to keep shorts. play by the rules. i would get yelled at by my pops if i did. a buddy of mine accidentally kept a short striper. i know you're thinking, accidentally? well he didn't have a tape, and it ended up bein an inch and a half short. he didn't know how to fillet fish, so i offered to for a nice chunk of it. long story short, my pops threatened to call DEP on him. not so nicely either. it was funny as hell, the look on his face! but here's a story for you.

my father was fishin niantic river, and there were a bunch of asians fishing for blackfish, out of season, and keeping all shorts. they played the "we dont speak english" card, and wouldn't listen to my father. well he called DEP, and the officer showed up and told them to leave. turned out they spoke perfect english. he found that out as they were walking back to their cars yelling at him. come to find out, they didn't have licenses either! in the end, they got no ticket, no consequences. when my father asked why he didn't fine them, his reasoning was "well they never pay it anyways"

Way to teach em, sir.

I wasn't there, but i'm simply relaying the story he told me, so the details may not be spot on. I do know this, shortly after that, he landed the biggest blackfish of his life. someone close by who witnessed the whole "situation" tried to convince him to keep it. as much as he wanted to (cuz blackfish is DELICIOUS) he still threw it back.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats BS, that DEP officer should have taken their poles (And beat them with them)

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
mgzzcool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Right on! Reply with quote

Keep teaching them the right things...

Nothing disgusts me more than seeing people take shorts and the litter that lines the waterways I fish....

I hated even starting up the old two stokes ( running a four stroke now)...

Teaching our kids today...will allow them to enjoy tomorrow.....

My kids will know...that's for sure... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: