CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Carp Fishing - Need Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy62694

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Carp Fishing - Need Help Reply with quote

Hey, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about carp fishing that could help me catch a carp. I fish at dividend pond which has some carp in it and i want to catch one. For practically the entire summer, i have tried catching a carp, using several different baits. (sweet corn, cow corn, and boilies) Ive gone to CT Outfitters to get their opinion and they told me im doing everything right, just getting unlucky. I use their chum stuff on my method feeder and it seems to attract the carp, but nothing wants to take my bait. The water is only a couple feet deep and on a sunny day, you can see all the carp in the water, so i know im putting my bait in the right place. Any ones advice would be helpful, thanks
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using a hair rig? I have to try that some day. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they common carp or grass carp, because they are a very different fish and have different diet tendancies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Damian, aren't almost all grass carp protected where they've been stocked (e.g., Ball Pond)?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
You're using a hair rig? I have to try that some day. . . .

Yea, im using a hair rig, i forgot to mention that, and Flipper, they are common carp, at least thats what the guy at CT Outfitters said.
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right, Phil, but I couldn't find anything in the Anglers Guide. Have to check my other book when I get home. I have seen people fish for and catch them at Spring Pond (Windsor Locks). That doesn't mean it's legal, though.

For advice on carp fishing, see the thread entitled "Carp?" under Discussions-Lakes started by bigpoppa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shallow pond? carp on top? Italian bread all day. size 4 hook, floatin the bread on top, and plenty of patience. sounds a lot like my spot in glastonbury. caught every carp in that pond at least once or twice.

Didn't realize it was such a shallow pond. If all the info in the PM i sent you fails to work, grab a loaf of italian bread (1.99 at stop & shop) Tear some up into small pieces and toss em all in your area. Then, throw the one on your hook out in the mix. They'll eventually come for it, especially if they're all swimmin on top.

the outer crust floats, the inside doughy part will eventually sink, get the best of both worlds. No weight, don't need to get out far.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CARP, CARP, CARP,, Birges pond in Bristol,, My kid is catching them there as of last weekend and all summer,, nice ones to,, Im going to tell you his secret,, and hes 14 years old,, Wonder bread and wonder bread only,, white,,, make alot of dough balls without the crust,, bait an area well,, wait about an hour,, then dough ball a hook and dip your dough ball in strawberry jam,, watch your line,, Good luck
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try tossing a ¼ slice of bread on top of the water to see if you get them to come up

if that works lightly fold your hook into a ¼ or smaller slice of bread and cast out (hopefully it will float)

also try using a leaf ive had a buddy catch a carp with a local leaf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,, let me know when you can go to Birges pond,,, I will show you
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
CARP, CARP, CARP,, Birges pond in Bristol,, My kid is catching them there as of last weekend and all summer,, nice ones to,, Im going to tell you his secret,, and hes 14 years old,, Wonder bread and wonder bread only,, white,,, make alot of dough balls without the crust,, bait an area well,, wait about an hour,, then dough ball a hook and dip your dough ball in strawberry jam,, watch your line,, Good luck

How big are these carp your kid is catchin? I'm always game for some light line carp fishin. Got my girlfriend to land a 12 pounder with a ultralight action on 4lb test. Now THATS a blast. The little guys can be weary in small water, an acre or two. Usually not though, especially in larger water. On a striper trip to norwich, I got bored and hooked this little guy on a piece of leftover chicken mcnugget my buddy didn't eat.

As far as the big boys go, I usually stick to the river and one secret pond i go to. The carp are VERY weary, so tricking them is no easy task. Seeing as how the river is so flooded, we took this down time to make up some batches of boilies.

Tigernut and Sweet Corn on tuesday, Shrimp and Pineapple today. roughly 400 per batch. Except the pineapple. made a much bigger one.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: