CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Bantam trip this weekend
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratch59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Bantam trip this weekend Reply with quote

Hey all, second post ever on the forums! (First was the obligatory newb post in the proper forum)

So I have been lurking for months on this site and have seen my success rate rise because of the information, but I wanted to make it more of a dialog rather than an information repository. So here goes...

I am planning my first trip to Bantam this weekend. I have never intentionally targeted Northern Pike before, but their reputation (an MASSIVE pictures) were too attractive to pass up. I stopped by Cabelas today (I work at Pratt) and asked a few of the employees for suggestions regarding pike.... their responses left a lot to be desired.

So I am here, asking for some direction. So far I have this list of possible "bait":

Live line live (or dead) bait
Spinnerbaits (color suggestions would help a ton)
Spoons
Larger crank baits

I am planning on keeping the live bait off the back of the boat while I cast off the front/sides with artificials. I will be switching in some wacky rigged senkos in hopes of landing some bass to tide me over until Mr. Pike makes an appearance.

Any suggestions would be great! Anyone who is already planning on being on the water that day, I will be on a 13' Whaler!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the discussion, Scratch59! Remember, you're only allowed to have two lines in the water at a time, so if you have bait, whether dead or alive, floating under a bobber off of the stern of your boat, you can have only one other line in the water. With that line, I'd throw a big double willow blade spinnerbait or a big buzzbait. Try the southwest corner of the south cove. You'll get at least one, especially if the wind is blowing from the north.

Last edited by PECo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratch59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more than 2, I don't know how I could manage it!

I assume that is per person on the boat? A buddy and I are planning on fishing together... it would suck if it were per boat...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Any suggestions for live bait? I don't know what the rules are for hooking fish in Connecticut. I heard some people suggesting rigging a live bluegill you pull in, but I don't know if thats legal. We were planning on using a shiner hook through the lip tethered to a treble near the tail...

Depth wise, where should we be concentrating the spinner retreive?
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have caught Pike on crankbaits, spinnerbaits and senkos. However most of them were not actually targeting Pike when they were caught. I'd say a spinnerbait or the live bait would be your best bet if you plan to target pike. Good luck!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a few things. First, you're allowed two lines in the water at a time per person. Second, if you hit the south cove, it's all fairly shallow, mostly eight to 12 feet deep. In my limited experience, northern pike like to hit spinnerbaits and buzzbaiits on a fast, steady retrieve. You can't reel a lure fast enough that they can't catch it if they want to. Try different speeds until you start getting hits. Third, you should probably read the 2011 Connecticut Angler's Guide before you head out. Pay extra attention to the Species Regulations, the Definitions and the specific regulations for Bantam Lake. Here's a link to the online Guide: http://www.eregulations.com/connecticut/fishing/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I'm pumped for this trip. Seems like you guys pull some decent bass out of there too, so I'm thinking we are covered if the pike aren't interested...

What's the deal with the launch? I see chatter that Blumenthal forced them to make the public one public, but it's back to residents only? Now you have to pay to launch anything by trailer if you don't have a resident sticker?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Town of Morris has posted a "Residents Only" sign at what was the only public boat launch ramp on the lake, which is in the southeast corner:

When I emailed the town about non-resident use of the ramp, this is the response that I got:
Quote:
Hi Philip, here is a response when I recently posed this question to our First Selectman:

The Town of Morris will be going to referendum regarding the operation of the Morris Boat Launch. Presently, however, by Town Meeting vote, the launch is still closed to non-residents.

At this time, non-residents are encouraged to use the White Memorial Foundation Marina on North Shore Road in Litchfield.

The Board of Selectmen have an ordinance ready for vote and have been working with the state on a possible lease agreement. Budgetary difficulties with the state have slowed the process.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Brian Leonard

Morris Recreation Director

I happen to agree with Flipper (aka Damian):

More specifically, we believe that the Town of Morris' action violates our rights and the rights of all non-residents under The Constitution of the United States of America and the Constitution of the State of Connecticut. If you read some of the recent Lake Reports about Bantam Lake, you'll learn a lot about this issue.

Unless you want to be among the first to challenge the Town of Morris by using the boat launch ramp, getting cited for doing so and refusing to pay the fine, you should launch your Whaler at the The White Memorial Foundation Marina on North Shore Road in Litchfield, which is located on the north shore of the lake:

It's operated by The White Memorial Conservation Center:

http://www.whitememorialcc.org/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a North Shore launch is in my future! I haven't been too lucky in my life avoiding eventual payment of fines I "refuse" to pay for various reasons... I only asked because I was concerned that the closing of this launch cut all access to the lake by trailer for non residents... As long as I can launch I will let the state fight the town. If I like the lake as much as I think I will I might become a bigger advocate for Flipper's cause (I had read his very well authored letter regarding the ramp's use)

And might I add.... that is a B...E...A....Utiful fish!
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and for the record, I WILL be launching at the south launch (if I can get out there this Sat afternoon). I think there will be at least 3 boats from this site out there. Tourney anyone?

Now, for lures, if you want to use spinnerbaits, I would suggest chart/black or white/red. That seems to be the most popular colors with pike fisherman. I have also seen pike caught on chart/orange out of that lake. If I am going to throw lures, I always have a large in-line spinner tied on. That is what I have had the most luck with. Larger spoons (up to 5") are always a good option as well. Don't forget about large swimbaits, too.

Personally, I am a bait guy, simply because I get very limited time on the water and I want to catch fish. If you are using the right bait with the right presentation and not catching fish - the fish aren't there. I don't know if you will have enough time, but I try to catch golden shiners and fallfish(dace/chubs) before I go and keep them in an aerated bucket. I'm talking about 8"-12" fish. If that is not an option, find a local bait shop that sells "pikebait". These are just 4"-6" golden shiners and work well, too. CT Outfitters in Wethersfield sells them, but they are not cheap. Still, well worth it in my opinion.

Finally, the last and most important tip I can give you is to use 50lb flourocarbon for a leader. I cannot state this enough as it has improved my catch rate dramatically since switching from steel leaders. Especially with bait. When using a fast moving lure it may not make that much of a difference, but I will never put bait on a steel leader again.

Hope this helps and mabey I will see you out there on Sat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the great info. Hopefully we see you out on the water, weather should be great for fishing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: