CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Basile 09/01
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Lake Basile 09/01 Reply with quote

I hadn't been fishing since last month Laughing , so justinmorse (aka Justin) and I went to Lake Basile:

We've had somewhat slow outings lately, so we wanted to catch a bunch of fish. And we did. Very Happy We parked on Lordship Road, and carried La Calabaza and El Habañero down the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail. We went about 25 yards before I decided to check my iPhone GPS to confirm that we were headed in the right direction. We weren't. Embarassed So we turned around and headed to the lake. We launched at 8:45 am. The air was cool, the sky was clear and sunny, and there was very little wind. Although the water level in the lake doesn't appear to be higher than it was before Irene, the heavy weeds that covered the northern 2/3 of the lake are no longer visible on the surface. It took only five minutes before I boated the first largemouth bass of the day with a Bullfrog colored Zoom Horny Toad on a red Gamakatsu 4/0 Offest Shank Worm EWG hook:

Yes, it was small. But so was Justin's:

Unfortunately, so were the other 73 that we caught today. Razz Yes, we caught 75 largemouth bass. Very Happy But the lunker was only one pound, five ounces. Crying or Very sad I took photos of only my first four and my forty-eighth. Here are numbers two, three and four:

Notice that they were caught with the frog, a black 1/2 ounce Booyah Buzz buzzbait and a wacky rigged five inch green pumpkin/red flake Senko. They hit everything today, but I got most of mine with the wacky Senko. Justin boated largemouth with every color of Texas rigged seven inch Powerbait Power Worm that he had with him. I haven't been able to turn him to the dark side (i.e., the wacky Senko), at least, not yet. You'd think that the 50 largemouth I boated compared to his 25 might convince him. Rolling Eyes However, I was able to turn him on to the Zoom Horny Toad. Although I wasn't nearby when he did it, he was able to boat his first fish with a frog today! Very Happy Besides all of the largemouth, the only other kind of fish that we got all day was a sunfish that I snag hooked in the eye socket:

Ouch! I told Justin that I'd have had enough fishing after I boated four dozen largemouth. Here's number 48:

On our way back to the shore from where we launched, I got "just one more". And then "just one more just one more". We got off of the water at 5:45 pm. We had a pretty good day on the water, but we'll go for quality over quantity for our next outing.

On our way back to the car, we saw this sign posted alongside the trail:

If you get out to Lake Basile and have a good time, feel free to contribute to the cause.

Last edited by PECo on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
rpucci

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! My partner and I had a 75 LMB day today as well! We caught them in 2:15 minutes!!!! INSANE action. I had the lunker of the day with a nice 3.5 lb (or so). See my report in the Bass section.

Rich
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys!

I guess I should've went there yesterday when I got out of work! I tried Spring Pond but it was closed off due to the flooding they had over there. It stunk outside there too Sad ...

I ended up going to Hamlin Pond and I caught my first bass on the FLIP! I dropped a YUM X2 Mighty Bug on him and he took it on the fall. He was only about a pound but I didn't have 70 more bass to pass my time Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good day out. Although, my back is still screaming at me for sitting in a kayak for 9 hours. Well worth it, though.

Thanks Phil!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys are hammering those fish!!!! Phil, looking at that second shot I thought you were going to say you caught the monster from the lagoon!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was a lot of that bright green floating algae in there. The wind kept slowly moving it around. I hate that stuff. It feels like coarse sand and sticks to everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Yeah, there was a lot of that bright green floating algae in there. The wind kept slowly moving it around. I hate that stuff. It feels like coarse sand and sticks to everything.

You can't hate it too much, though. It holds fish Very Happy. I boated two or three frogging in that stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im froms simsbury and me and my friends fly flish. we ve been loooking at places and i saw how you hammered those largemouths. i just wanna know if i would be able to fly fish from the banks and be able to have enough room for a back cast and if you think its good right now. are there even open banks where we have space to fly fish? thanx for ur time
BigBoB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other lakes/ ponds with bass in simsbury that me and my friends could try after school one day tht we would be able to fly fish?
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shore at Lake Basile isn't very clear. The dam is the most open area, but it's fairly steeply sloped. You should ask jonnyfly00 about flyfishing spots in the Simsbury area. Send him a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: