CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: thank you Cabelas, new crankbait rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: thank you Cabelas, new crankbait rod Reply with quote

I went to Cabelas to buy a crankbait rod,, didnt know what the heck I was going to get,, ran into a guy that I talk to on this sight,, anyway he was very helpful, and took great care of me,, even though he was extremely busy,, I picked up a Skeet Reese crankbait rod, 7fter, I thought what a wimpy rod, but after talking to some of my crankbait gurus, I was told that was a very decent rod,, so I went to the lake of compounce to try it out,, first cast, I start reeling it in and the rod just bends and wiggles,,and then it really bent,,, I caught 10 fish in 15 casts,,it was amazing how that rod reacted with a fish on it,, I didnt lose any fish,, usually they jump and shake it off,, not now!!,I think with this set up,, the cranks are acting like the cranks should, I also picked up a Abu Garcia,, WINCH,, 5.4 ratio,, that is the ticket,, Anyway thanks for the input on the rods and reels,,, you know who you are,, and let me know when your open,,, lets do a Candy trip,, Thank You,,, Set Hard!!! Jim
MarkO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy, I've been thinking of making the same purchase for the same reason. You mind me asking how much the pole went for? Thanks, Mark
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how those rods were, glad to hear you are happy with the new setup.

Justin
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at Cabela's the other day, I met a guy who was exchanging a Skeet Reese microguide baitcasting rod because one of the guides was completely lacquered over. I had a bad experience with a brittle Skeet Reese rod last year. It snapped a few guides down from the tip when I pulled a weed off of it. Hopefully, Wright & McGill has improved the quality of its rod blanks. I really love the design of the rods. Only my doubts about the quality of their construction has kept me away.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake of compounce? As in the theme park lake? I didnt know you could fish there! Last time there we saw a fish sitting under a log near the gold game where you hit the ball onto the pad in the water.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkO, I paid 90 dollars for the rod which is a 7ft crankbait rod,,, It is very whimpy,, but I suppose they are meant to be,, I am catching lots of fish with it,, Rookie,, Yes Lake Compounce,,I can fish there anytime I like Laughing Laughing As for the quality,, I dont know,, but Ive used it all week,, caught a good amount of fish on it,, love the way it makes the bait work,, and my hookup ratio went way up,, I probably have 1000 casts from it,,Went to Highland today just to crank,, not bad 10 nice largemouth, biggest was over 4lbs,, also hit, some smallies,, it was a day of crankin only,, Im getting to know the rod,, its amazing how that rod just bows over,, and the casts are unbelievable,, FAR,,Koppers Live Target baits,,, are my new go to,, my buddies down south SWEAR by them,, I see why!! I went to the rock garden and had a crank banging the bottom,,, everytime I banged into a rock,, it got rocked,, perch was the ticket,, My buddy Mike caught some nice ones on a carolina rig,,The rod is wimpy,, the fish actually has a chance,, not like flippin,, when they bite THERE MINE!!! Twisted Evil
MarkO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Flip. Do you get the Koppers local or do order them online?
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy,

Can you paint it a different color?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkO, I get mine online,, many more colors and much more variety,, Ron, I can airbrush them to anything ,,I have a couple Koppers that I had to add some blue, for the river of coarse,,something about blue, on the CT river Wink
MarkO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Flip!
flippy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem Wink
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i was better with crankbaits, anyone want to bring me with them sometime and put on a clinic? I'll buy lunch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: