CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 10/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 10/08 Reply with quote

I drove by Batterson Park Pond this evening. When Fishface (aka Tim) and I were there a week ago, the water level was very low, way below the level of the spillway. The submerged island was a foot and a half higher than the level of the water. Now, the submerged island is three feet higher than the level of the water and they've also cut down all of the trees on the southeast shore. Here's a bad cellphone photo that I took from the park on the north shore:

It looks like they're developing the park on the northeast end of the pond, along the dam wall and spillway. Does anyone know what the plan is for all of the work that they're doing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a description of the work from the construction bid solicitation online:
Quote:
Dams,Park[s], Landscaping,Water Piping,Sewage Piping Batterson Park Pond Dam water level to 4 feet below normal pool (i.e. feet below spillway). Pump and/or siphons may be required. Removal of trees 7 stumps, brush, weeds and briars from all embankments & outlet structures to a distance of 25 feet from the toe. Repair animal burrows and eroded areas. Install, restore, or redistribute riprap along the upstream slop of the dam and dike. Draw down Clean out the toe drain along the downstream toe of the dam to restore to proper functionality. Inspect the toe drainage manhole, cleanouts, and pipe for signs of damage or disrepair and replace/repair as necessary.

I don't know whether the scope of the work has changed from this, but it looks like they've hit their target water level of "4 feet below normal pool".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that what i was talking about last week when you responded that it was probaly for the dam inspection. i went down there on thursday while the crew was there clearing all those trees near the launch.( a crew from mass at that) they were loading the trees up and dropping them off on the otherside of the pond where the tralers are. im sure you seen the huge pile. if you walk toward the dam there is a pipe coming from way under the water level that is draing the lake. the pipe is about 20 inches round and water is just pouring out so fast. i cant emaging where its draing to. maybe stanley qtr park then to the golf course but where after that? anyways, by the looks of it the lake will probally be dropping alot lower. i walked around the the lake collecting all types of lures and bobers, quite a few good ones too. i was amazed at all the golf balls in the water. also a rediculous amount of trash and debre in the water. i would love to get a group together some time to walk the lake and remove all trash and debre, tires, furniture, ect. it would be a good way to volenteer a few hours to help improve the lake for years to come. but i hope someone else can shed some light on whats going on there. im gonna go down there tomorrow to check it out again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I drive by there sometimes 8 times a day, and never had any luck at that place. I thought I was losing my mind when I saw and island out there last week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: