CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: bantam lake 10/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watthe555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: bantam lake 10/10 Reply with quote

hit the water at 1 hoping its not going to be windy but right when we got on the water the wind started to come from the north. fished the south cove and got a couple hits but otherwise nothing. moved to west end of the middle bay and still didnt catch anything. i decided to move to the north bay near the river because people stopped water-skiing there. when we got there the wind was pushing us from the west and we didnt have use the electric motor. i got the first fish on a t-1 spinnerbait,

a little bit after my catch my dad also caught a lgm on a swimming senko on a weedless hook,

after the fish stopped biting we moved back ot the south bay. we hit the south-west part of the south bay and my dad got 3 set hooks by some big fish but they went into the weeds and got off the hook, he was very dissapointed. we worked our way to the danger sign and i started throwing a weedless daredevil spoon. after a couple throws and the only time i didnt do the figure 8 a 30" or bigger pike followed the spoon to the boat and stared at me for a couple seconds and then dove down to the deeper water. it was getting dark and my dad pulled out his swimming senko to catch the last fish of the day,

we got off the water at 6:15.the weather was nice and i thought it would've been a pike day but i guess i was wrong, but i got a nice tan.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I think that our recent bout of warm weather has slowed the northen pike bite a bit.

I'd bet that your dad wasn't fishing with braided line. You can't beat it for horsing fish around.

Last edited by PECo on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually to surprise you my dad was using 30 lb braided line. maybe you misinterpreted what i was saying, the line didnt break but the fish went into the weeds and it unhooked itself, it was unusual for it to happen 3 times in a row though. sorry if you read it wrong i didnt know how to word it.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I was on Little Bantam yesterday in the kayak. Got a 31" chain pickerel and a 2.4 lb LMB, but no pike. Wish I had brought the camera for that pic, but I don't think I could have gotten the whole thing in the frame, lol. Only stayed in little pond for 30 minutes. the wind was rediculous. No luck in the river on the way out either. Bantam time is coming man, hang in there! Wink
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdiggy, did you keep the chain pickeral, it might be a state record. and if you dont mind me asking, what did you use to catch it? i also sent you a pm
CatDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never been up to bantam lake. are there any good spots there to fish from shore? i want to go for pickerel, pike, and LMB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have 2 beaches that i have seen people fish from but i never saw anybody catch anything there. its worth a shot to try. if your gonna go for pike i would bring a really long pole with a bobber and large shiner and throw it far out.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waatthe555 - With braid I'll horse a bass out of the weeds or pads before it can wrap itself up. No subtlety there. Tell your dad that he needs to get rough with those fish! Very Happy

bdiggy - I think that I'd rather boat a 31 inch chain pickerel than a 31 inch northern pike. That must have been one heck of a fight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: