CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester 3/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Winchester 3/13 Reply with quote

Made the last ice trip of the year today. Hit Winchester from 7am till 1pm. Unfortunately, it was sleeting and raining for most of the morning but not to heavy. The ice was still 16" thick, but melting fast. Met a guy on the ice who I thought was DaveyDave, but it ended up being a guy named Frank from the "other" website. He was a real nice guy even though I helped myself to his holes (after an invite). It wasn't until later that I realized he wasn't even the guy I was supposed to meet.
As for the fishing, there was nothing really to speak of. We had about 6 flags, but they must have been small fish because we couldn't hook 1 of them. We were using live shiners and dead fallfish in the second cove from the launch on the west side of the lake. The fish would be taking line but then drop the bait when we tried to hook them. On 1 flag I felt the fish and it was small. They were probably yellow perch or pickeral that weren't big enough to get the hook in their mouth.
It was still a fun day and I'm glad I got into ice fishing this year. I didn't think I would like it, but found it to be a lot of fun. Time to get the boat out and hit the river until the water gets hard next year. I will be looking forward to it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd you rig your bait? Out of the last baker's dozen of flags that I had, I managed to land only two fish. I had my shiners hooked through the lips from the bottom up. Both of the fish that I landed had stopped swimming with the bait (i.e., line had stopped spooling off). Are you supposed to wait for the fish to swallow the bait before setting the hook?

BTW, while I'm sorry that you got skunked on your flags, I'm kinda glad to know that I'm not the only one who misses tons of flags around here. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hooking them thru the back. With med. shiners I see no need to wait, unless they are little fish trying to eat the shiners. Not interested in them anyway. I never wait very long to set the hook on fish (if I'm not using circle hooks) . I don't want them to swallow or drop the hook. I think the only time it is an issue is when the fish can only fit half of the bait in their mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Flip sorry about not pickin up when u called i was sound asleep i had gone out the night before after some schoolies...tried callin u back to see what u were but u aint answer or i would of met u down there for sure sorry bud
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my phone was getting bad reception out there and my battery was dying. I ended up getting your text and replied back that I was already there. No big deal, like I said - you didn't miss much and I still had a good time. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how u think its holdin up ???would u wanna try it one more time?
i just have no way to figure out ice conditions unless i take the hour drive
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you probably wouldn't even be able to get to the ice right now. The entire shoreline had a foot or 2 of open water around it. I'm sure it's much more now. Also, there may still be some black ice left, but a leaf on the ice dropped 4" while I was there from the radiant heat. The old holes became 4'-5' of open water from runoff/drainage when I left. I'm all set with the ice. It was actually a little scary walking back in. Gettin the boat ready for this weekend maybe - depending on conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah there is some rotten ice up there but at the same time there is also anywhere between 10 to 15 inches of ice 3 of slush and about 5 or 6 of white stuff and about 5 or so of black ice...it is all honeycombed with little air bubbles but she still has a few trips left in her hopefully to give up a new PB!!!
keepin my hopes up and keep on takin the 10 mile walk all the way out to a new found honey hole!!!!DANM THAT WALK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think from now on its time for the PFD and a good spud bar!!!
i can leave the auger at home and pack light with bait and tip ups and maybe maybe a jiggin pole ...
syxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort. Sounds pretty chilly. Good luck next time, thx for the report!
since 1944!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: