CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Almost time to winterize
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Almost time to winterize Reply with quote

Went out today and bought my winterizing products for my engine, for those who dont know how to do it, its really simple, make sure you have fuel stabilizer, lower end oil and fogging oil, thats pretty much it, make sure you have the stabilizer mixed with the fuel, thoroughly, then you run your engine till its warmed up then fog the engine, I fog it till it just about stalls, or do bursts of fogging oil until your engine is smoking pretty heavily, next I drain the lower unit, make sure your oil in lower end looks like honey when you drain it, if it looks like milk you are getting water in lower unit and you must have it looked at, Then I take my batteries out of the boat and put them in the basement on a trickle charger, I do not leave them in the boat, while Im at it I take the tires off and check the bearings, just to make sure the races and bearing carriages are fine, then I replace or repack the bearings and put it all back together, Done, This is an outboard, inboards are about the same but you must run anti freeze through the block, thats it, the boat goes nighty, night
SAP284

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Do you have any recommendations for the hoses that run the bilge, and aerator? This is the first time I am going to winterize a boat and I am just hoping that those hoses wont have any leftover water in them and crack from freezing.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be a very dumb question but is this something you should definitely do?
SAP284

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterizing is important because its like a tune up for your motor. It helps make your motor last long. For example my motor is a 1993 and its running pretty good still. Thats because it was taken care of before I got it. If you dont put coolant inside it, things can freeze inside and damage your motor and cost more money in the long run.

I am just not sure about those hoses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,, just make sure your livewells are open,, ( like you open them to let them drain ) as long as theres a way for the water to get out,, you will be fine,, its when its blocked that the ice will have power to damage,,for the motor,, fogging the engine,, coats the cylinders and rings with oil so they dont stick, and cause damage,, keeps moisture from forming rust,,also try to keep as much fuel in the gas tank,, and stabalize it,,me personally tape the vent so no moisture can get in or out,, as for the lower unit, I have been using a synthetic gear oil,, take the prop off and check for any leaking oil, fishing line or whatever,also check the hub of the prop make sure the hub is not cracked or worn,, you dont want to spin a hub, then grease the spline up and put the prop back on,,its also a good time to change the spark plugs and gas filter, I take my batteries out and put them in the basement,,, COLD KILLS BATTERIES,, if you can cycle the batteries, then do it,, And blaine99,, I know guys that dont do it and have had no problems,, would I suggest it NO,, Outboards are VERY expensive, Then the trailer,always check the hubs, bearings and races,make sure the races are fairly smooth, if you see knicks and deep scratches,, REPLACE THEM, with the bearings, clean them up in kerosene and check them,, then pack them up and put them in,, try to get your tires off the ground,, I use blocks under my axles,, you dont want a flat spot on your tire, from sitting in one spot all winter,, especially outside,, Always remember, it is a machine and needs attention,, try to take care of it,, I will think about winterizing usually around Thankgiving,, Peace my fishing friends,,
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. I am probably going to do it this Saturday because its the only chance I will have to do it. I didnt even think about the trailer. I will have to check it out thoroughly as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: