CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: belegrade lakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: belegrade lakes Reply with quote

we have been going to this area of maine for years stay at a fishing WHISPERWOOD LODGE! - the bass fishing is VERY GOOD - and there is some great PIKE fishing in the area as well
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any muskellunge?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mentioning Pike or Muskie in the State of Maine is the same as mentioning the name Sherman in the State of Georgia.

They're all hated with a passion Exclamation Shocked

The Maine fishermen will kill every Pike or Musky they catch and leave them as coyote or eagle food. They're not too fond of bass either.
I wouldn't even think of bring up the subject of Pike or Musky to any fisherman in Maine. thumbs down Rolling Eyes

Maine built its reputation on cold water fisheries (Trout and Salmon) which it is famous for and zealously protected.

Any introduced fish not native to its waters is regarded as something to be eradicated Exclamation

All of the above is FACT!...... and articles have been printed, on this very subject, in many of Maine's public news papers.

www.pressherald.com/.../northern-pike-spreading-fear_2008-05-06

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not where we go? (Spring CRPY/LMB/SMB/PK/LLS/BRNT/BRKT)(summer LMB/SMB/PK) we go up last week of may & last week in august! if you are looking for a great place that is really affordable/great food and just a place that you can bring or rent a boat THAT FEELS like it is your own camp this is it!!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the articles are somewhat true -- BUT I AM HEAR TO TELL YOU - that as much as it is hated PIKE FISHING is alive and well! - and there are MANY guides that do just pike trips in the BELEGRADE area! - THEY HATE THEM YES THEY DO - BUT WE LOVE THEM YES WE DO!!
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - i fish with 2 guides up there - 1 is just my trout and salmon guide BOY HE HATES PIKE -- he is a purist and that is what makes him so good - the guy i go out with just for pike and we get some monsters! -- LOL always a big TADO when we all get together and have a few NIPS -- A LOT OF FUN!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rvolkers,

Yes! As you confirmed, they really do hate Pike and Muskie in Maine.

Maine's primary fishing, and what is their bread and butter fishery, is its famous trout and salmon and what most people go there and fish for.

NOT Pike or Muskie -> They're both listed as non-native invasive species to Maine and illegally introduced by unscrupulous fishermen.

Sure the guides will gladly take you out for Pike or Muskie.
Also most guides will NOT allow you to release any caught P or M.
Maine has no size limit....or bag limit on P and M.
What does that tell you?

Why? ....Because they do not want them in their waters and would rather see them eradicated.
Pike and Muskie are not what provides them with a living or pays their bills.
Trout and Salmon do, as that is the main draw and what Maine's fishing reputation is built on.
Every Maine guide knows this, and yes they'll be polite, but don't kid youself, they'll take you out and make a buck on you fishing for P and M, but mostly for you to do the work of eliminating them Exclamation

This isn't rocket science -> They accomplish 2 things, making a buck and eradicating 2 much hated fish species.

Article posted 08/22/2011
www.gofishn.com/ned/reports/13703-muskie-in-maine-the-debate-rages-on

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats between the maine folks - i have been fishing there for over 40 years - for landlocks and brooks in the upper lake parts! - when we go to belegrade in the spring we fish a couple days for landlocks and brooks and a couple for bass and pike! - in the past 5 to 6 years i have caught an awful lot of pike WHILE BASS FISHING and also with guide! - I have never asked been asked to keep or kill a pike during that time --- i practice catch and release!! -- iF ALL the pike are killed and go away - there is still plenty of great fishing for me to do in maine and NH!

Most of the guides i have been fishing with for VERY LONG TIME! and it is way past earning a living and being polite (i fish with them - i do not hire them and also have been in tournaments with them!

like i said - if the pike go they go NO SKIN OFF MY back - but i will tell you this they sure are fun to catch on a spinnerbait or a big fly!

thanks for the feed back! - you link was right on!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rvolkers,

Yes! I agree -> P and M are fun to catch!

I like to fish mostly the western mountain area of Maine (Rangely) and the Connecticut Lakes in NH.
The guides/wardens there, that I am friends with and have fished with, are deathly afraid that some bucket biologist will illegally introduce P and M into the waters there.

Why? some unscrupulous fishermen have to do that for selfish reason(s) and ruin certain fisheries that are healthy and thriving is incomprehensible to me.

One thing for sure is P and M are delicious to eat, and some say even better than Walleye. (That includes nice big Pickerel)

I know many fishermen in Massachusetts keep and eat the Pike they catch.
So do the fishermen in the Mid-west who mostly spear them (traditional) in darkhouses.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
rvolkers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many years ago i fished Umbagog Lake and Androscoggin River and that area religiously - we stayed at a little hole in the wall on the river THE BROWN OWL! - it was owned by a guy from CT -- fly fishing only - it was pretty spot and the fishing was great! (the Errol Dam) was a great spot for land locks!

here again i would hate see it get killed by pike!!! - a very slippery slop we fishermen are on - I LOVE FISHING FOR ALL FISH - but each place we go has special memories and HOLD special fishing chances!

would be great to keep the pike & bass down by the AGUSTA area and MAKE DAMNN sure they do not get up north!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rvolkers,

Yes! I've fished those waters also.
Particularly like the "Chain of Ponds" north of Rangely, also a very pretty area.
Just have to watch-out for the Moose !!!!!!!

When in that area, I make a one, all day, pilgrimage to "Upper Dam" to fish the pool there.
That's where "Carrie Stevens" lived and famous for developing streamer flies, especially the "Grey Ghost". (As a personal rule -> That's all I use when I fish the pool).
Love all the Connecticut Lakes and connecting waters in NH. (Big strong fish everywhere!, and lots of FUN!)

YES Exclamation I'm in total agreement with you -> Keep the Bass and Pike down near Agusta Exclamation

SeaDog1
rvolkers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have fished the upper dam as well - BIG RICHARDSON and LITTLE RICHARDSON - long ride in BUT the area is great - THE SWIFT RIVER is just the sweetest spot in the area - we also fished a bunch of logging ponds in the area -- THE BOOK TROUT were big and roast beef red meat -- LOL - all those leeches!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: