CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Sunday out
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Sunday out Reply with quote

Well, looking for suggestions for what will probably be our last outing with the big rig. We have some maintenance and repairs to do before sealing her up for winter, so only heading out for a few hours. The closer to Wolcott the better, is Beseck a draw down lake? Is there a ramp for Wethersfield? Any other close by ideas is cool.

Thanks and good luck to all who head out, the weather is supposed to be great.

John
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Lillinoah. Find some steep walls and throw big jigs for largemouth. If all else fails, look for laydows close to deep water and go for crappie. Lots of smallies and pike to try for also.
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks, Zoar was on our list, so just a little up farther up to Lilly.
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

This was on the DEP Report last week.

WINTER DRAWDOWNS of a number of Eastern CT lakes are in progress. Reported lake depth status for the following water bodies is current as of Friday, October 21st: Ashland Pond (down 6 inches), Bashan Lake (down 32 inches), Beseck Lake (down 6 feet), Billings Lake (down 5 inches), Gardner Lake (full), Hopeville Pond (full), Lower Bolton Lake (full), Middle Bolton Lake (down 6 inches), Mashapaug Lake (down 18 inches) and Pickerel Lake (full).

I would be careful with Wethersfield. It can be difficult to launch, I have known from the last two times I went. There is a ramp, but its not a real ramp like other boat launches.

Also on Lilly this is what was posted..

LAKE LILLINONAH is scheduled to be drawn down for a week beginning November 5th with refill scheduled to begin November 13th. During this drawdown, launching of trailer boats will be difficult (Route 133 launch) to impossible (Pond Brook launch) at the state boat launches.

I already winterized my boat I wish I could take mine out as well. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain why they draw down and then refill like that or why they draw down for the winter?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually asked that in another forum here. I have been told its for weed control.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, good info. Yes, draw downs are for weed and flood control for the most part. The lake we lived on before we moved here was a draw down lake, not really sure if it helped much. But it was a relatively shallow lake so it didn't take long for the milfoil to come in, but they treated the lake twice a year as well. But I feel for ya Steve, I hate winterizing it, that's when I finally say "it's over" for the season.

Take care all.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that drawing down the water during the Winter deters the weeds much, if any. However, by drawing down the water, they minimize ice damage on the shoreline. Seawalls and docks are expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is mostly weed control Phil(supposedly). The heaviest weeds are in the shallows, hence the draw down. The freezing temps kill the weeds in winter and deters them from growing back for a short period of time. Also, freeze damage to shorelines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: