CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: Victory for Menhaden Declared by Anglers, Conservationists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundbounder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Victory for Menhaden Declared by Anglers, Conservationists Reply with quote

"At its annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, the Atlantic States Fisheries Commission’s Atlantic Menhaden Board yesterday (November 9) approved new management measures that aim to end the overfishing of menhaden and increase coastal stocks to sustainable numbers.

The board voted to set a harvest target of 30% of Maximum Spawning Potential (MSP). MSP is the total number of adult menhaden in the population, under an unfished-stock scenario. To achieve this goal, the current harvest will need to be reduced by 37% when the new measures are implemented.
"

http://boatinglocal.com/fishing/victory-for-menhaden-declared-by-anglers-conservationists.html
fish4fun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, I hope. It's been a lousy fall for me without any adult bunker in my area.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope thats enough, I know I havent really seen any this year at all! Anything is better then nothing though thats for sure!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Soundbounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading quite a lot about this. Al Ristori had a good article last week in the Star-Ledger:

The primary exploiter of the resource is Omega Protein, a large corporation that catches millions of pounds to be reduced into fish meal and oils at its factory in Reedville, Va. The company’s giant reduction boats have been banned from state waters, but in Virginia it’s allowed to purse seine even in Chesapeake Bay, where most of the approximately 160,000 metric tons the company boated last year came from.

Though still abundant, the present volume of menhaden is historically small. The American Sportfishing Association noted that menhaden stocks have declined 88 percent over the last 25 years, and are at their lowest numbers in recorded history. Anglers are also worried about the lack of young-of-the-year “peanut” bunkers that have seemed to be missing this fall.

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2011/11/ristori_one_step_closer_to_ame.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: