CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing Newbie.....Need Recommendations..not spots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Ice Fishing Newbie.....Need Recommendations..not spots Reply with quote

I am striped fisherman looking to start ice fishing. Was wondering if anyone can suggest some gear for ice fishing. Have nothing of that nature. Go easy on the ice fishing lingo too because I am clueless in this area of fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

P.s. did not mean to make the begining sound like a personal ad. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with an inexpensive jigging rod and reel, spooled with four pound test mono or fluoro, a small selection of jigs (e.g., perch eyes, micro jigs. Halis), and some spikes (aka maggots) or waxworms. You'll also need a hand auger, but you're better off going with a buddy who has one or, if you go to well traveled spots, you could look for old holes in the ice. You'd also definitely need a scooper to clear ice and slush from holes. Finally, I recommend traction aids for your boots and you MUST have ice picks for safety; look for the ones that you can wear around your neck.

Post on the Fishing Partners page when you want to go out. The more the merrier. And it's safer, too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot peco. The buddy I'm going to go with I guess is all decked out for it. Thanks for the safety tip too. Maybe we can get a few guys together for the first trip out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneck Pond on New Year's Eve. Be there or stay warm. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. See you there. I will bring a few people lol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. See you there. I will bring a few people lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to get a small assortment of jigs for your first time out. There are basically two types of jigs- horizontal and vertical. Some of the better horizontal jigs are ones like the Lindy Darter or the Rapala Jigging Rap. Both are awesome, and provide really great action and vibration when jigged. Vertical jigs, like the Swedish Pimple, Hali, Gem-n-eye, or any of Northland's Forage minnow jigs or buckshot rattle spoons are more like a traditional style of jig- essentially a spoon that creates a lot of flash. So go with bright colors almost all the time....reds, blues, pink, yellow, etc. Those are your basic basic jigs that you should head out with for the first couple of times. And always tip them with maggots or waxworms.
Be wary of jigs with dropper hooks that use a piece of chain...having a dropper hook for your maggot is a great concept but you will probably be replacing your chain with a one inch piece of monofilament before you know it.

Remember, the bigger the jig or spoon is, the more fish you will attract, but they may be less likely to bite, particular when you are talking panfish. Its usually about finding not so much the style/color of jig to use, but the size thats working for a particular day.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggots aka spikes

I found that those are key in most places I fished

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

For $100, you can get 5 tip-ups, a jigging rod, and a Mora hand auger on ebay. Tip-ups keep you busy and warm, running from hole to hole, which I prefer over sitting on a bucket and jigging. CT allows you to have 6 tip-ups per person or a total of 6 lines in the water, and the tip-ups are supposed to have your name on them.
Other than that, you need bait(golden shiners!), a sounder(weight to test the depth of water), and some split shot. Go to your local bass or pickerel pond first, to get a taste of it before venturing out on the big lakes. A jigging rod with a little spoon and/or a meal worm can keep you occupied when it is slow, but when the flags start flying - forget it.
When you catch your fill of pickerel - then you need to go to the bigger lakes for pike, walleye, and trout. Good luck!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fly,

Shuuuuuuuuuuush!
Don't say that 6 tip-up too loud! Laughing
Many other states don't give icefishermen the luxury of allowing that many per person Exclamation Laughing

Look's like the Wx will finally start to cooperate starting Dec. 26 and we'll have decent/reliable ice just before the new year!

Good luck,
SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: