CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Braided line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Braided line Reply with quote

Looking to hear some thoughts on the braided lines on the market. Use berkley fireline radial braid for awhile now as well as some suffix 832 which seems to be one if not the top line on the market currently. Spiderwire berkley seem to get the worst ratings and power pro seems to be midway if not the better of line.

What Is your favorite/best in your minds? Thanks guys
bdiggy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried spider wire, terrible. Tried the Suffix with the gore fibers and was not happy with how loud it was, or the casting distance. The one i've stuck with and have switched all my current rigs to is Stren sonic braid. Nice and smooth, tangles come out easily and I can cast about a half mile, lol.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good thread for me as I tried it once on my Salt water poles and had all sorts of problems so switched back to mono. I dont think Ill switch from my Flouro on freshwater. Let me know if what you are using it on is fresh pr salt water. I have enough poles that I might give it one more try on 1 pole of each.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the higher pound tests (i.e., 40 to 65 pounds), I prefer PowerPro to Spiderwire. It holds its shape better than Spiderwire, which tends to unravel over time. It unravels so much that hooking it becomes a problem. Of course, whenyour line is THAT old, you probably should have changed it already. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home depot,,, 800lb cable,,lol
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy!

Where have you been man?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog, I have been down south,, Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year... Jim
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Fireline for trout Laughing . Casts a mile, and I was able to reel in a 7ft log that my Rooster Tail caught on a 5ft 6 ultralight. For bass fishing I've always used PowerPro in 40 pound test. I only use it for froggin or throwin big topwater at night, because during the day I can't catch sh*t on it. Flippin, jig fishin, or pitchin at Winchester in the stumps I use Smooth Casting Trilene in various pound tests. Personally I like the Power Pro compared to the Fireline, casts better, and no backlashes, but then again I'm throwing the braid on an Ardent...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50 lb moss green Fireline braid for most applications and Fireline Fused Original (superline) for trout (14lb. smoke color) - very strong, thin, abrasion-resistant, and smooth casting...plus the trout don't seem to notice it! Great line, provided it's not overspooled and you've got it on the right setup. If your braid seems noisy on the retrieve, then something isn't right. I had to switch my reel to a rod with differently spaced line guides to get the best performance.

I also started using Cajun braid this year because it's much more affordable. It's pretty stiff when you buy it, but casts smooth and softens up nicely after a few outings. I haven't had a chance to test it out in the slop yet, but I don't anticipate any issues...it actually seems stronger than the other 50lb. braids I've used. Cutting it takes more effort, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the most abrasion resistant braid out there. PowerPro 30lb. does not handle abrasion well AT ALL...avoid at all costs if you're jigging for smallies around rocks or something.

50 lb. Sufix, Spiderwire and PowerPro all have comparable sensitivity and casting distance once they're broken in...and every brand needs to be broken in somewhat before you can rate its performance. Fireline definitely gets my vote in the lower line classes though...the Fused Original is some good stuff.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Haven't heard from you in a while.

Hope you had a "Merry Christmas"!

I also like Fireline original -> 4 lb. test for trout and 17 lb. test for open water Pike fishing.
If I can't fine the smoke color -> I soak the regular stuff in coffee before spooling -> Gives it a nice light color!

Also have been using "Kevin Van Dam" line and lure conditioner -> SUPER STUFF! -> once dry, line acts like it got soaked in Slick 50 -> ZING!!!!!!!!!!!
Swear I get 50% more distance casting! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Have a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
chud059

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago when fireline first came out I used it. I can't really remember the capacity I used. I remember the gimmick was "10# test with 4# diameter" it was so long ago I don't remember if it worked well or not. Now I just use Trilene mono 6# and 12#. I only have 2 set ups and that seems to do me well for now. Should I get a canoe or small boat then I will get a couple more set ups.
flippy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all personal preference,, and if your braid is breaking or snapping,,, change it,, I have noticed that some of the people I have taken out, dont even inspect their line,, I have watched them fish most of the day without retieing,, in time you will learn,,especially your personel best,,for people using 50lb braid in CT,, its overkill,, my opinion, rocks, trees, crap,,, that will nick up anything, Not unless your throwing a senko on 50 braid,,lol.. that seems to be the fad on this website,,,lol,, oh and with a spinning reel Rolling Eyes
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

Haven't heard from you in a while.

Hope you had a "Merry Christmas"!

I also like Fireline original -> 4 lb. test for trout and 17 lb. test for open water Pike fishing.
If I can't fine the smoke color -> I soak the regular stuff in coffee before spooling -> Gives it a nice light color!

Also have been using "Kevin Van Dam" line and lure conditioner -> SUPER STUFF! -> once dry, line acts like it got soaked in Slick 50 -> ZING!!!!!!!!!!!
Swear I get 50% more distance casting! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Have a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Hi Seadog1!
I've had a hard time logging in to post here...still can't seem to do it on 2 of my computers or my phone. I've been fishing a lot, with mixed results. Haven't caught a bass since October (including a bunch from the California Delta/Clear Lake.) Only walleye, carp, dace & trout since then. Next month I'm heading to Washington state for salmon & steelies. Pretty frikkin' excited. Very Happy
Happy New Year to you too!

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used powerpro for strippppper and blue's this year, it seemed to fair well.

Does anyone use braid for hard water?
If so what pound test / brand do you use?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: