CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: anyone fished Bantam yet?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roofman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: anyone fished Bantam yet? Reply with quote

Happy New Year to all.Has anyone fished Bantam this year?Any fishable ice out there?
I am planning to go up to Maine,Vermont or upstate New York to do some ice fishing .Can anyone give me some info.Anything would be appreciated.Thanks!
flyorice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Southern VT Reply with quote

I checked out a bunch of lakes heading north last Thursday, and checked with local bait shops. The first place I found safe enough to fish was Lake Sadawaga in Whitingham VT. 5-6" of ice and hungry fish - perch and pickerel - and caught about 50. The lake is 2 hours, 15 min from Milford(subtract an hour if you are in Hartford area). Good luck!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky you!

You would need a VT license though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Southern VT Reply with quote

flyorice wrote:
I checked out a bunch of lakes heading north last Thursday, and checked with local bait shops. The first place I found safe enough to fish was Lake Sadawaga in Whitingham VT. 5-6" of ice and hungry fish - perch and pickerel - and caught about 50. The lake is 2 hours, 15 min from Milford(subtract an hour if you are in Hartford area). Good luck!

What kind of licensing is needed?Did you carry your bait or bought it there?Anyway your info is much appreciated.Thank You
flyorice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: anyone fished Bantam yet? Reply with quote

You need a VT license-$45?? VT has very strict bait laws, so you cannot bring your own bait. At the bait shop, they ask you what lake you are going to, and make you sign a statement. I don't think you can buy more bait for 3 days or jump lakes(unless your friend buys bait for another lake). They want you to kill your bait by dumping it on the ice when you are done.

The Whitingham General Store is 1/4 mile past lake, and sells bait/tackle. The Jacksonville General Store does not carry bait.
flyorice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: anyone fished Bantam yet? Reply with quote

Just another note - going further north does not necessarily mean more ice. On Friday, I went skiing at Killington in central Vermont. Lake Rescue and Echo Lake had a lot of open water. Sticking w/ the shallower lakes with warm-water species is your best bet.
roofman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone fished Bantam yet? Reply with quote

flyorice wrote:
You need a VT license-$45?? VT has very strict bait laws, so you cannot bring your own bait. At the bait shop, they ask you what lake you are going to, and make you sign a statement. I don't think you can buy more bait for 3 days or jump lakes(unless your friend buys bait for another lake). They want you to kill your bait by dumping it on the ice when you are done.

The Whitingham General Store is 1/4 mile past lake, and sells bait/tackle. The Jacksonville General Store does not carry bait.

Thank You!!!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats very strict, I think CT should do that.
Though I dont think its going to stop people from bringing their own bait sometimes.

Some people wait until they get caught until they start following rules....
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: