CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: hand ice auger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: hand ice auger Reply with quote

So today my coy pond was frozen enough to drill a few holes with my new mora hand ice auger so i did. I sharpended the blades with a lazer hand ice auger sharpener and the auger just wouldnt bight into the ice it would sslide so much i still was able to drill 15 holes but they werent circular wat should i do Confused
Fish On!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I first used my hand auger when I started ice fishing, had the same problem. I really had to focus on keeping the auger square to the ice surface to get a good hole started it took a little getting use to. Whatever you do don't bang it on the ice thinking it will help get the drill started you chance bending your blades and then the auger will be even harder to use, I'm sure you can guess how I know that.
TT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser sharpener is made for the laser auger. The mora and laser have blades cut totally different. Buy new blades.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some weight and height never hurt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, you did the opposite of sharpening them, you need new blades! Laughing
deafice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never had to buy a new one i got a black decker knife sharper got it at cabelas it the best to sharp every thing if you need to have it sharp just take the blade off and take it to cabelas where they sell knife they will show you and what you need it the best tool i even sharp my ax with it
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, my new Nils 8 inch hand auger will finally come out of the box this weekend. Whoo hoo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tips for sharpening. any of the sharpeners will work. you will just have to remember to sharpen only the slanted sides. never the bottom of the blade. Even if you create burrs on the smooth side, they will eventually wear themselves off when you drill. That old style auger can be fixed very easily to work well. Just take some feeler guage about .5mm or anything that is about the same thickness. like an old credit card or something of that nature. plastic, metal(stainless steel if you can find it). cut strips about an 1/8" wide by the width of the credit card, and shim the front side of the blades. Don't make the shim wider than the distance between the screws. It will actually bend the blades ever so slightly and push the cutting surface down. this will make a more aggressive pitch to the blades and make them bite more. If all this fails, just buy a Strikemaster Lazer auger. All you ice drilling problems will be solved. Good luck everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: