CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Stillwater Pond 01/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Stillwater Pond 01/21 Reply with quote

I fished Stillwater Pond with jonnyfly00 (aka Jon aka Shelly). Jon's girlfriend, Kaitlin, and a couple of their friends, Derek and Genevieve, joined us. We got on the snow covered ice at 8:45 am and were off the ice by 4:30 pm. We hiked from the ramp to about halfway up the west shore and the shallow cove. If you've been on Stillwater, you know where I mean. The ice was seven to eight inches thick everywhere we went, although a couple of guys with whom we spoke in the middle of the pond said they found only five. Jon set some traps baited with small golden shiners, but we didn't get anything on them, other than a couple of wind flags. We jigged up dozens of small yellow perch and decent sunnies. Most of the perch were about seven inches long, although Jon got one that was probably 11. Altogether, I jigged up 18 yellow perch and six sunnies. I forgot to take a photo of my first fish of 2012, but here's a photo of my second, which was a carbon copy of the first:

Here's Kaitlin with her first fish of the day:

I had a good time, although I'm definitely not used to the cold yet. However, I found that keeping out of the wind in a shelter helps a lot. I think that it's worth getting one for windy days like today. I also love my new Nils eight inch auger. It takes about 2-1/2 cranks to drill through every inch of ice, with no downward pressure. Being able to crank the auger with both hands at the same time makes it a lot easier than using a Mora or Lazer auger. I'm already looking forward to getting out on the ice again tomorrow. My daughter wants to jig up a fish, too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Glad you guys had a great day!

I'm going to hit Burr tomorrow.

That hat Kaitlin is wearing looks warm or is that a hood Very Happy

Stephen
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job out there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: