CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: the a rig
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: the a rig Reply with quote

We’ve received a number of calls/emails about the legality of the “Alabama Rig.” The short answer is that the “Alabama” rig is legal to use in Connecticut to fish for black bass.

As for the details – In Connecticut inland waters anglers are limited to the use of two lines (and which must be “personally attended”), but an unlimited number of hooks can be used. Only three of those hooks (note that a treble hook counts as three hooks) can be “baited.” This requirement however has generated some confusion concerning use of the “Alabama” rig as many bass anglers call artificial lures “bait.” Under CT regulations, artificial lures are not “bait” (“bait” is live, or was at least somewhat recently alive). So an angler can use an unlimited number of artificial lures. One could also find this information on page 14 of the 2011 CT Angler’s Guide (see definitions for “Angling” and “Bait”).

Regardless of the legality of the gear type, anglers must still stay within the legal possession limits (6 bass at most, the five bass limit provides wriggle room to cull), which could get complicated for an angler with fish in the live well. Imagine four bass in the livewell and you bring a cast in with three bass, you are now in possession of seven bass (the more likely scenario would be five bass already in the livewell and you bring in two bass – still equals seven and in violation of the regulations).

I hope the above helps. Let me know if you need more information or have additional questions,

Take care,

Bill

Bill Foreman
860-424-3868
DEEP Inland Fisheries Division
william.foreman@ct.gov
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try it out with 5 gold Phobee's attached to it when I troll West Hill opening day. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT,

An Alabama rig is much the same as an Umbrela rig and we've been using those for decades here in New England for stripers and blues.

The Rebs just added a little twist to the rig! Very Happy

SeaDog1
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks bill
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: