CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Burr Pond 02/03
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Burr Pond 02/03 Reply with quote

I checked out Burr Pond, today, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. I had wanted to check out the area in front of the dam, but couldn't get on the ice anywhere near it because the edge was too thin at the shore. However, the edge was solid off of the beach:

The ice was hard and clear. It looked as if it had melted and refrozen since the last time that I was there. The wind was vicious. It blew down the pond from the north at 10 miles per hour, with occcasional sustained bursts over 15 miles per hour. Combined with air temperatures near freezing, it felt freaking cold! I walked out from the beach and drilled holes every 25 feet as I went. The ice was about four inches thick in each hole:

Normally, I would have headed to a different pond, but figured that today might be my last chance to fish Burr Pond through the ice this year, so I did. When I ventured toward the dam, a crack formed in front of and away from me as I walked Shocked, so I stayed in the area in front of the beach and jigged in eight to nine feet of water. I didn't set any traps because I didn't want to mess with them in the wind. I jigged up five small yellow perch, and by small I mean from seven to four inches long:

I also got two chain pickerel that were each only about one foot long:

And my prettiest fish of the day was a small pumpkinseed:

As I said, I think that Burr Pond might be done for the year or, at least, until we get a sustained cold spell. Quite frankly, it was probably done before I headed out there today. Now, where are my jerkbaits? Wink

Last edited by PECo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

By the way I (SeaDog1) was with Phil on Burr today.
Cold and windy!

Neither of us would be foolish and fish alone.
We are both seasoned ice fishermen -> understand how ice can act, and had "ALL" our safety gear with us + I brought 2 PFD's in my sled Exclamation

The ice... "WAS NOT" ... consistant but ranged between 3-4 inches, and in some areas ...-> started to crack under our weight. Shocked
As Phil said we "TESTED THE ICE" every few feet Thumbs Up

Yes! Same as Phil -> I walked toward the dam and the ice cracked several times under my weight -> And I .... "BACKED OFF".... very easily to the somewhat thicker ice.

Both Phil and I agreed that this was the ..... "LAST TIME" ..... for us to fish Burr or any other NW corner waters unless we get a good cold snap for a few days this month.

Will we get one Question -> Only GOD and Mother Nature can answer that question Exclamation

"SAFETY" .... was the key word for us today!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak for yourself, Stephen. "STUPID" was the key word for ME, today. Rolling Eyes

Oh, there you are:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Phil,

You shouldn't berate yourself like that -> a better phrase would be "Dedicated Fishing Fanatic" Wink

Always enjoy going fishing with you. Thumbs Up

Though I may have to take that 8" Nils auger away from you at some point.
Man -> You can make just about any body of hard water look like SWISS CHEESE Shocked

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job not falling through Wink

So Stephen what did you catch?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Nice job not falling through Wink

So Stephen what did you catch?

Hi DD,

Oh! We where very very careful!
Though I was getting a bit concerned ....what with Phil on a rampage drilling holes with his 8" Nils Shocked
That man loves to drill holes Rolling Eyes

I caught 2 small pickerels and 3 Bluegills.
Seems there was only 1 fish per hole....least that's what Phil and I happen to find.

If it wasn't for that wind + gusts we might have stayed longer.

Oh! Phil (while sitting in his sled shelter) made like an iceboat when a good gust hit it -> Should have heard him holler WHOA Exclamation .. Very Happy

All in all we had a Fun Day...but we both agree Burr's done!

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to get out on the ice this year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: