CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Winchester 02/05 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Lake Winchester 02/05 Reply with quote

hila2006 (aka John and Jenn) hadn't been on the ice at all this year, so we arranged to meet at Lake Winchester this morning. As I drove up Route 263 from Winsted to Winchester Center, the air temperature dropped by three degrees, from 27 to 24 degrees. When I got to the boat launch ramp, there were four cars parked down by the ramp and a dozen more in the parking lot up the hill. There were a lot of groups already on the ice in the south end of the lake. I unloaded my sled and parked my car, and got on the ice at 9:30 am. I saw that none of the groups had set up in the first cove on the left, so that's where I went. It was a beautifully sunny day with only an occasional breeze up to five miles per hour. I drilled half a dozen holes along the south side of the cove, from the mouth toward the back of the cove. The ice was about six inches thick and the water was about 8-1/2 feet deep in every hole that I drilled. I set a trap with a medium shiner in the first hole. Well, "medium" is a bit of a stretch. Rolling Eyes It was small enough that I decided to go with a single treble hook through its mouth, instead of the two treble hook rig that I had been using this year. Right after I set my second trap, I turned back toward the first one and saw that I already had a flag Surprised . It was spooling very slowly, but since I didn't want to gut hook the fish, I decided to set the hook. To my relief, I hooked the fish, although it was just a 14 inch chain pickerel:

After I finished setting the rest of my traps, I drilled a dozen more holes further into the cove. While I was getting set up, a couple of guys with a little girl set up on the north side of the mouth of the cove. It was roofman (aka Steve) with his daughter and a buddy. Hey, Steve! John and Jenn finally arrived around 10:45 am. John didn't have any crampons or cleats on his boots, so Jenn had to hold him in place while he drilled holes Laughing :

I bet you guys didn't know I saw that! Wink At one point, I drilled a hole about 20 feet from the north shore of the cove, but the ice was only 3-1/2 inches thick. Shocked I quickly retreated back to the shady side of the cove. Although I was jigging, I didn't get so much as a nibble. I did, however, get another flag. Once again, I set the hook on a fish:

It was only a 15 inch chain pickerel, but at least it was a keeper. Rolling Eyes I drilled another dozen holes along the south side of the back of the cove and jigged in five to six feet of water. I didn't get so much as a nibble. When I went back to the traps, I learned that neither had Jenn. Crying or Very sad We ended up getting off of the ice at 1:45 pm. I have a feeling that this was the last day that I'll fish through the ice this year. I'm gonna pull out my jerkbaits. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck getting back out
Elixir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was a beautiful day and you had fun...
x182dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most have walked right past me to get to that cove. I was there on sunday we had the cabelas shanty to the left of the launch right before the cove. A few flags, nothing but dinky pickeral.
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there saturday and got a nice 18 inch pike i was about 120 yards of the launch and i went right is left better fishing?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

x182dan - I'm the guy who yelled that you had a flag when he walked by. I think it was one on which you got a chain pickerel. By the way, that's one heck of a shelter. We wondered whether you had a flat screen TV in there to watch the Super Bowl! Laughing You have some pretty funky looking tip-ups; I couldn't figure out how a couple of them work.

Noob - I haven't figured out Lake Winchester at all. I caught a 35 inch northern pike all the way in the back of the first cove last Summer with a big black buzzbait. On the same day, I caught another pike of the same size just south of the stump field on the north end of the lake with a trolled KVD crankbait. The biggest largemouth bass that I've gotten there was only 4-3/4 pounds. I got it on the right side of the south cove (just south of where you fished, I think) with a Texas-rigged soft plastic crawfish dragged on the bottom. Yesterday, I couldn't even find a panfish. Winchester is often a tough place to fish. Hey, shouldn't you be in school right now?!?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sick Sad
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Bowl party hangover? Laughing

I hope that you feel better, soon. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bit Rolling Eyes hahhaha but i hope ill be in school tommorow Shocked
x182dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: LOL! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
x182dan - I'm the guy who yelled that you had a flag when he walked by. I think it was one on which you got a chain pickerel. By the way, that's one heck of a shelter. We wondered whether you had a flat screen TV in there to watch the Super Bowl! Laughing You have some pretty funky looking tip-ups; I couldn't figure out how a couple of them work.[/b]

The shanty is pretty nice I got it last mouth @ cabelas it was on sale for $179 and I had $20 extra coupon off of that. I was looking at used ones that were smaller and more money than that one so I grabbed it. Those are my new tip ups and that pickeral was my first catch on one. I thought they were normal? That was my first time ever at winchester ice or no ice
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the launch can you give me exact directions to where you were
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to know where we were so that you can avoid those spots, Noob? Wink You outfished both of us with your 18 inch northern pike. Heck, that's a nicer fish than any I've gotten so far this year. Whatever. Very Happy Here you go:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Hey that was great!
How did you do that?
Nice way to mark particular fishing spots!
Let me know!

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahha yeah but i wanted more flags but in my opinion it was still a nice fish now wheres the launch? Confused
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was straight across from x182dan like just follow from his name all the way across to the other shoreline thats where i was/ Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: