CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: auger problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishingmaniac12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: auger problems Reply with quote

I just got a eskimo gas auger for xmas this year. Everytime i go and try to use it it starts to cut through the ice then binds up and wont cut through the ice. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? Hoping its a simple fix or i mite need to send it back and get a different auger.

This is also my first time using a gas auger so maybe im not drilling holes the way your suppossed to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a smaller Strike Master gas auger with one blade. If yours has only one blade they can bind up if you put too much pressure on it, or they will bind up once they start to almost go thru the ice. You really have to let the machine do all the work. Hope it helps.
fishingmaniac12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried that and it still seems to bind up. My auger has two blades and like i said the machine is brand spankin new. I read that it could be the fuel mixture screw but i cant find the screw anywhere to try and adjust it. Does anyone know where that would be on the 10 inch eskimo mako?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can download the manual for it here:

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=M43Q10&tab=docs

If you can't figure it out from the manual, you should probably call the company. Idea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: auger problems Reply with quote

Eskimos suck - the auger, not the people! Usually OK for the first year, but the torque is not great. The big problem is the Chinese engine, and plastic parts. By next year it won't even start. The company has little support, and if you need an engine repair - good luck finding somebody to help.

So get your money back. Buy a StrikeMaster on eBay. I got a 5" for $77, and a 10 " for $200. Made in the USA, and in ice fishing country.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishingmaniac12 - There's a valve on the gas cap that you have to loosen when you use the auger. It allows air into the gas tank, so that fuel can flow out of it. Otherwise, the fuel system is sealed up so that gasoline doesn't leak out when you're not using it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure to let it run for a couple minutes to warm up. To the point where the throttle is very responsive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they say look at the fuel mixture screw, it would be on the carb.

If you know anyone who is good with small engine repair, (lawnmower repair shop) maybe talk with them, after all ice augers are essentially 2 stroke weed wacker engines.
hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: auger problems Reply with quote

flyorice wrote:
Eskimos suck - the auger, not the people! Usually OK for the first year, but the torque is not great. The big problem is the Chinese engine, and plastic parts. By next year it won't even start. The company has little support, and if you need an engine repair - good luck finding somebody to help.

So get your money back. Buy a StrikeMaster on eBay. I got a 5" for $77, and a 10 " for $200. Made in the USA, and in ice fishing country.

Eskimos certainly dont suck and many others out there using them would agree. Like any small engine there could be number of reasons as to why his machine is doing what its doing. Ive run the same model for 6 seasons now and at first had the same issue when mine was new. A slight adjustmant to the fuel mix ratio and a tweeking of the carb needles and to this day it has run flawlessly. Simple stuff that guys that end up buying strikemasters couldnt figure out.LOL Laughing

PM sent fishingmaniac......live across the river in Suffield. Ill fix it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: