CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Tyler Lake 02/17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Tyler Lake 02/17 Reply with quote

I fished Tyler Lake by myself, today. Every time I go out, I tell myself that it'll be my last time on the ice this Winter, but I can't resist good ice. Rolling Eyes There was only one car in the lot when I arrived at the state boat launch ramp at 10:45 am. The sky was mostly sunny and there was no wind. The ice was still totally locked to the ramp, although the surface was wet and a little slushy in spots. There was definitely more open water in the southeast corner and along the east shore of the lake than there was yesterday:

I didn't bring any traps. I tightened up the screw on the handle of my Frabill Straight Line combo and had a black/chartreuse Flu Flu feathered jig tied on about 10 inches above my firetiger Hali Ahven Diamond jig, both baited with wax worms. There was one guy who had set traps in a straight line out into the lake from the left side of the ramp and there was a blue Clam shelter set up way off in the distance in the southwest corner. I walked out 100 yards from the right side of the ramp and drilled holes to the south at a depth of about nine feet. The ice was still a solid 6-1/2 inches thick under the slush. I could see my jig down to about eight feet. I drilled two holes and jigged up a yellow perch out of each hole in the first 15 minutes I was on the ice:

I decided to explore deeper water and headed straight toward the center of the lake. After five or six holes and an hour with not even a nibble Confused , I decided to head back to the nine foot depth and just head south. Almost immediately, I was rewarded with two more perch and a 13 inch largemouth bass:

I got another perch out of the same hole as the bass, before getting an 8-1/2 inch sunny out of the next hole:

As the day wore on, the wind rose out of the north until it was blowing steadily at over 10 miles per hour. It got cccold! Confused But I continued to jig up yellow perch and also got another 8-1/2 inch sunny:

By the time I got off of the ice at 2:45 pm, I had jigged up 18 perch, two sunnies and one largemouth bass. The perch ranged from seven to 10 inches long, but the vast majority were eight inches long. Unfortunately, the ice started to fade while I was out there. I was surprised to find a little water along the west shore and at the ramp:

The ice was strangely silent, because it was softening up today, instead of expanding like it was earlier in the week. However, I think that it should still be fine this weekend. I never saw less than 6-1/2 inches of ice everywhere that I drilled holes. Good luck if you get out there! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report as always. Looks like you had a heck of a day Very Happy way to go!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice day on the ice. Looking forward to seeing some Okeechobee pics with you holding bass that could eat those for a snack Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Derek! I hope to have some good photos to share from Lake Okeechobee, although the largemouth bass are post-spawn down there, now. It might be tough next week. But I'll be throwing topwater lures in February!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job jigging as always! Nice size to that 8 1/2" bull!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say hi to Mickey for me...Captain Mickey that is Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: