CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Lake Quassapaug?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon72801

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Lake Quassapaug? Reply with quote

Thinking about going to Lake Quassapaug in Middlebury this weekend. Has anyone had any luck on this lake? I can't find a whole lot of info on it. How is the launch?

Thanks,

Steve
gecabert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the DEP site, the state doesn't have a boat launch there.

Quote:
Lake QUASSA PAU G, Woodbury-Middlebury (297 acres)
• Note: No public access, icefishing prohibited.
• Species: (T SMB S CB BB LMB YP CP)
• Season: Open 6:00 a.m. 3rd Saturday April–last day February.
• Trout: Daily creel limit—1, 18" minimum length.
• Largemouth & smallmouth bass: Daily creel limit—1 total,
18" minimum length.
• Other: 6 mph speed limit, except 25 mph from Tuesday after Labor Day
to 3rd Saturday in April. Use of motors prohibited 11 p.m.–6 a.m.
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its private
brandon72801

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just called the Middlebury Parks and Rec, open to residents only...bummer.
Drew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a private beach there once with family. As we sat around a guy with scuba gear came up out of the lake. It was rather strange. Anyhow we got to discuss fishing and he mentioned that he had seen many large bass during his dives in the lake.

Anyhow I thought there was a place to rent a boat or possibly pay to launch. Its been a while though
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the yacht club there that you can become a member of and keep a boat there, its really expensive though. I lived on the lake a few years back and it was some of the best fishing I've ever had, huge trout, bass smb and lmb, my brother had a yellow perch almost in the net that would have been a state record.

so yes it is possible to fish there just not practical.
brandon72801

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is a fishing club you can join as well.
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the yacht club and the fishing club are the same.....sandy beach maybe. but its expensive
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice size fish in there (seen pics,) too bad most of us cannot fish the lake!

Native Americans once populated this large area. The Native Americans translated Lake Quassapaug to mean "Big Pond" or "Big Rock".

In colonial days King George (1690-1770) granted one Abel Wheeler control of the lake. During this time a fisherman could rent a boat and leave his horse in a stall with plenty of hay for as little as 50¢ a day. Fisherman enjoyed the lake because they claimed that they caught fish by the buckets full

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they had bucket brigades back in the colonial days too!! Some things never change Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Jim
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent looked into it but will this year as I live in Middlebury. Maybe somehow I can hook some of ya up visitors maybe? We'll see. I know the Tiger Trout record came from there twice now.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
MarkO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s the low down on the Q.

There are two clubs that you can join to gain access to Quassy with out being a town resident. My friend is a member of the one on the eastern shore called The Sandy Beach Club. It cost about $450 beans a year and starts on opening day and closes around mid November. I believe you can leave a boat there also, but we’ve always trailered in and out. For a little higher fee you can have access to the beach there and hang out with the hot MILF’s. You can contact them as the prices and times have changed over the years(the club, not the MILF's):
http://sandybeachclub.com/
I do not know the name of the club on the western shore but from what I’m told it is more expensive but you can access the lake at your leisure. Sandy Beach has a first light to sundown policy for fishing.

The fishing can great, but over the last few years it seems as if the lake is going thru a down cycle. When I started fishing it about 7 years ago it was a great place to gain confidence on new presentations like the drop shot and shaky head. The fish were aggressive and just about nailed everything that you threw at them. The last three years have been typical of many CT waters, work.

The lake has a great fishery for both largemouth and smallmouth with the former being more plentiful than the latter. The odd thing is that the fish seem to hit a growth barrier. It’s hard to find a smallie larger than 3lbs and a largemouth bigger than 4lbs. They are there in the larger range, and we have caught them, but just not as much as you would think for a private lake. It may be due to the fact the lake has a huge forage of alewives that I’ve never seen in any other CT lake. We’ve hypothesized that the larger smallies and largemouth are located offshore, suspended and gorging on schools of alewives. I guess we could go after them with spoons but that’s not the type of bass fishing I enjoy as I’d much rather flip the pads and grass for largemouth or dropshot the 10 to 20ft areas for smallies.

That’s all I’ve got. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them and I’ll answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Ryanmalloy44

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fished anywhere I wasn't suppose to in my life Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: