CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: New fly addict in woodstock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_brdfrd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: New fly addict in woodstock Reply with quote

Hello everyone... I'm kind of new to the area and very new to fly fishing. I moved here in 2007 after getting out of the military. Spent the last 4 years being too busy with life to really do the things i love (fishing and hunting). Last summer a guy at work introduced me to fly fishing on the back lawn of the fire station. Ever since then i have been addicted. Not very successful but nothing beats just being in the water. If there is anyone around willing to help out a newbee i would appreciate any help, or even just someone to fish with. Good luck to everyone and i am counting the days till April 21 for opening day on the natchaug. Oh and if there are any computer genius's out there that can explain how to shrink the size of a picture so i can use it as my profile pic i would greatly appreciate it.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Make sure you stop by http://jtsflyshop.com in Union. Great bunch of guys and very, very helpful. They also offer up free classes - fishing and tying. Match the hath, basic fly fishing. Great shop, great folks.

I also just posted a link to the CFFA fly fishing class which there is a charge for and it is in East HArtford. http://www.ctflyfish.org/events/classes.html

What waters for you fish? I'm in Stafford and would be more than happy to meet up and show you around some local waters. I'm no expert by any shape of the imagination but I catch fish.

Welcome to the addiction.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Paul, I dont fly fish as that would tear my back up but man does it look fun. Just throwing out lures for an hour or so and Im popping a few pills to relieve the pain. (Bad Back) but man when I see someone out there Im jealous!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
paul_brdfrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks everyone for a warm welcome. Passinthru its funny that you mentioned going to JT's fly shop cause its on my things to do for my next few days off. The few times I have been out fly fishing I've been to the natchaug, but I also live right up the road from the muddy brook. Also trying to plan a day trip touth to the salmon river. I would really enjoy getting to fish with you, just let me know when works for you. Oh and thanks for the tip on the classes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi p_b,

I lived for 13 years.....7 minjutes from the Salmon River in Colchester.
Great river, but it can go down to a trickle during a long hot summer.

The Salmon is a "green river" -> That is.... any wet fly, nymph, or streamer with green in it will get action. Why? I have no idea, but I and all the guys that fish it have discovered this quirk over the years.

As for dry flies -> Blue Wing Olives work all year and when there's a Sulfur hatch on it's unbeliveble! Shocked

One day fishing a pool throwing everything and NADA - NOTHING -> Next day with a Sulfur hatch on and the water is boiling! Go figure! Rolling Eyes

Have Fun!
SeaDog1
cmhyland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Fly Fishing Reply with quote

Paul,
One of the best ways to get your feet under you with fly fishing is to hit some ponds and get some bass and sunnies.... They are less selective than trout but will help you build skills in casting and setting the hook....

Black Pond and Mashapaug and Bigelow Pond are all great places with lots of trout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: