CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Saugatuck River TMA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Saugatuck River TMA Reply with quote

I just got into fly fishing last year and love to catch bass on the fly. Today I took a ride to the trout management area on the saugatuck river because I was curious about it and want to start using the fly rod for trout. I noticed three people in the river fishing. I would like to know if anyone has ever gone there or other spots on the saugatuck especially with the fly rod, let me know what you think of it, thanks!
ladyfisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been flyfishing for 15 + yrs ...fish the Saugatuck when I'm short on time since it's closer . The TMA fishes better in the springtime....river can get very low ,warm temps in the summer. Popular flies for that river is an Adams , Blue Wing Olives. some people fish with wooly Buggers ,but I don't fish them. If you want to flyfish for trout , the bigger fish are in the Farmington & Housatonic
AlexF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the TMAs on the farmington and housy are quite a ride for me that's why I ask. Do you happen to know when they stock it? someone there told me they haven't stocked it in a while. Thanks!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AlexF,

Go to the DEEP site.
They have all the rivers and stream maps where they stock trout.
Stocking starts in march and runs thru to May.

SeaDog1
AlexF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed they had some stocking maps, but I didn't think they had one for the saugatuck
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hence farmington.... housy.....
AlexF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

housy and farmington are very far from me. I plan to make it out to farmington a few times this year, but I don't know the river at all and I am very new to fly fishing and wouldn't know what flies to use. The saugatuck is about 25 minutes away, so I figure I will go tomorrow and try it out since I have some time. Have you ever tried the saugatuck tma? If so what can you recommend. Thanks!
AlexF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got back from fishing the saugatuck river tma fly only section. Fished it for almost 2 hours, lost a nice brown and landed an average brown. I'll take it for only having fished there this once. Although there was another guy there that was catching them every other cast, literally!
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao you will see alot of that learning how to fly fish.....
AlexF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Tuesday, I went again yesterday ,and same deal; lost one and landed one lol. I'll take it, it's a learning progress. It is very fun none the less and it gives me a chance to get out and fish and not have to wait until April 21st. Those fish were my first of 2012!

btw my avatar is one of the fish I caught there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: