CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: 6 HP 70’s Johnson Outboard repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: 6 HP 70’s Johnson Outboard repair Reply with quote

So I picked up (I think) 76 Johnson 6 hp outboard for very cheap the other day. It needs some work, but seems to have good compression and "ran when put away" so I think I can make it work. To repair it I’ll need to remove both the power head and the lower unit to get to two different issues. Should I take the whole thing apart at once, or do one repair and then the other? If doing one and then the other, which do you recommend doing first?

The upper repair is to reconnect the shift shaft as it has become disconnected from the shift lever (stuck in fwd). The lower repair is to replace the water pump as preventative maintenance. Other than these two issues everything else is intact, albeit dirty & a little corroded. Hoping to wire brush everything and hit it with some paint. Anyone have recommendations on paint??

Thanks!

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing might actually be mid to late 60's? Trying to figure out the exact year & model, having a hard time because the little tag has fallen off. If anyone has a good reference site with paint schemes on old Johnson's please post a link! Everything below the cover is white, it looks like the 70's models were darker grey.

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: