CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Willimantic River TMA Update
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Willimantic River TMA Update Reply with quote

If you haven't been by the Willi, well then you are probably the only one. It's been crowded but has been fishing very well. Lots of stones fluttering around and causing fish to rise as they land trying to lay eggs. Some really good trips with some quality fish even.

Water is low and clear and very fishable. Starting to warm up a little as well. I've been nymphing mostly, but dries are catching fish, yes it is only March. Many of the TMAs are fishing well so get out and enjoy the early good weather.

A few picks of a couple of nice rainbows and a tiger trout.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking fish!
AlexF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the saugatuck fly only tma a couple times this year already with success. I plan to try it again soon or another tma. What size nymphs have you been using if you don't mind me asking? I have been using prince and pheasant tail size 14 myself.
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex I am Euro Nymphing so using two flies all the time. My anchors are anywhere from 10 - 6 depending on what I am using. I've been using rubber legged stones (sz 6 & Cool, vladi worms and polish woven nymphs. For my droppers I've been using sz 14 - 20 PT style nymphs (Frechnies, PTs) many with hot spots and all with beads. Even had some with hot orange beads instead of hotspot. One of those rainbows took a size 16 PT type nymph (brown PT, jan siman peackcok dubbing and a FL Orange bead - nothing crazy). Most of the time my droppers are in the 16 - 18 range to start and I change up from there.

I did get a few with dark stimulator dries as the stones are hitting the water layign eggs and the fish were trying to get them.

hope this helps.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTO - When I saw your photo of the tiger trout, I thought to myself, "What a pretty fish. I'll never catch one of those." Of course, I caught one today in the Connecticut River in Middletown, right next to the Lady Katharine Cruises ship, Mystic. Laughing It was a very pretty fish. I'll post a report, later.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlexF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your knowledge PTO. I really appreciate it as a beginner fly angler.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post and very nice fish!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: