CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Jig fishing tips....Please Help! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumpy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also fished the evolution jigONCE. they might be pretty good around rocks but i dont like them around any weed cover. i use jigs from 2 people. 1 is tournament force and 2 is cap's creations (midconn angler) jigs. i used 3/8 when pitching shallow with a larger trailer to slow it's fall. now that the water has warmed and weeds are growing in, to flip ill prob start with 1/2 to 3/4 for reaction strikes.
If your looking for nice jigs at a good price ask midconn angler to make some for you.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear what GO BAMA has to say. He is probably on of the best jig fisherman in the state.
CTbassmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: My .02 Reply with quote

I have to agree with both Justin, and Just4fun. Both have valid points which I understand as I love to jig fish alot also. The 1/2oz jig is great for beginners to get a better understanding of jig feel, and bottom feel, along with the ability to feel the pick up a little easier. That being said, here is another point:

Jig Fall rate is the primary importance when flipping jigs. Many times the jig will be hit on the fall or just after it makes contact with the bottom. Watching for line pops, or feeling the tick will tip you off to this. Thats why some many successful jig throwers are line watches. The fall rate of the jig is adjusted by jig size, profile, and line diameter. Finding which one that works best can be different on any given day. I myself use alot of 3/4 oz jigs and 1oz jigs on Candy every year. And the reason being I am looking for a faster fall rate to get the reaction strikes. I have found the heavy jigs to be deadly on the smallies especially.

As for trailers, I only use the Paca Chunk as it works like no other on the drop that I have seen. I guess its a confidence thing with me, but if watch one in a tank or on the water you will see what I am getting at.

Jason
www.hookerztackle.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Tralli wrote:
Ahhh the jig. That little package of fish catching madness. You want to catch a fish on a jig? Here is what you need to do...

1. USE IT!!! The next time you go fishing, use nothing but JIGS!! If you practice with it long enough, you'll catch something on it!

I always tell people this. Once you get that first hit on a jig, you're set forever. You will know what it feels like to get a bite on it, and from there on everything else will be easy!

2. Use a quality jig. I dont mean something expensive, just something that is put together well. Find a jig with a good hook such as a Gamakatsu. This will help so much with the "catching" part.

3. Get a variety of jigs in different sizes and colors.

Here's a good base to start with: 3 - 1/4 oz. 3 - 3/8oz 3 - 1/2oz. jigs
Mix up the colors. Best bet and most widely used is a black and blue jig. Also get some green and brown jigs. Many of the crayfish that are around here are green and orange, so that's a great color too.

You also will need some trailers. I use ZOOM "Super Chunks". I like the black with blue flake, and the green pumpkin with blue flake trailers.

4. Get the right equipment!!! Get yourself a quality 7 foot Medium/Heavy baitcasting rod and a high speed, say 6.3:1 baitcasting reel. The longer, stiffer action rod will allow you to pull the fish out of the cover and the higher speed reel will help you pick up the line faster. Also, dont skimp on the line. Use nothing less than 14 pound test. I'd rather see you use 17 but that's up to you.

5. PRACTICE CASTING!! More often than not, people dont practice nearly as much as they should. I practice casting all the time. Not to toot my own horn, but I can outfish most people in my boat when we're fishing jigs because I can pitch the jig 15 feet under a boat dock where most people cant even get near. If you can put that thing where other people can't, you're going to catch more fish that dont usually see an offering. Go outside and practice pitching and casting into a cup. Take one of your wife's plant and put a cup under it and pitch it in. Practice pitching under your coffee table. These are all real life fishing situations that you'll come across whilee your jig fishing. ALSO dont be afraid to get hung up!!! You're going to loose jigs! If you're getting hung up, then you're fishing in the right places!!!!

6. Understand you bait!! A jig is a precision tool. Yes, using it in deep water is very effective. Last year a caught more fish over 5 pounds out of 40 - 60 feet of water with a 1 oz. jig. BUT, it's roots are in the shallow, jungles of weeds, wood, trees, docks and junk! So learn how to get your bait to the fish, and know how to work it. Make it look natural. Visualize your jig as it works along the bottom. Try and make it act like a little crawfish, or bug or whatever a bass thinks it is. (that part nobody will ever know because the bass cant tell us what they think it mimmics) Just make it look real.

There was a great quote once regarding making you lures look like prey and understanding why the bass eats your bait.....

"If you want to learn about the owl, you study the mouse..."

In other words, the way a preditor acts, eats, moves and thinks is all based around his food. Make your lure act real, and you'll catch more fish with it. Whatever the lure is.

Study the way crayfish and bait acts as it moves around.

One of the things that drives me nuts is to see a guy hopping a jig 4 feet off the bottom. Crayfish dont do that. They move along in little distances. They're not flying 5 feet off the bottom then going back down.

I hope this helps and I hope I didnt get too complex. The jig has won more money for me in the past ten years than anyother bait. Just practice with it and stay confident! Sooner or later something will grab it and you'll be a jig fisherman forever!!!

Good luck!!

- Justin Tralli[/b]

Awesome post!!! thanks for the tips. I know what I'm doing after work tonight Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: "Gettin' jiggy with it" Reply with quote

I've used Stanley jigs for years...though not an easy one to find in the stores anymore so I'll probably have to make a switch..... I guess for the original $1.49 per jig, I wasn't afraid to cast into those "scary areas". Yamamoto double-tail hula grubs have been great for me as a trailer. I am interested in the PJ's (thank you for the link, Just4fun) and I haven't heard of the tournament force brand. Who is the manufacturer for them?(too sheltered here in Maine...LOL!)

Tight lines,
Shawn
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Awesome information..

This was so helpful I printed if off to reference. I never really use jigs that much cuz I never had any success with them.

Now I know why, I’ll be working on my technique and making sure I use a Pig & Jig every time I go out.

This is Great stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: