CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: New to forum and in the Market for new FLY rod & pole
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steved

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: New to forum and in the Market for new FLY rod & pole Reply with quote

Hi all I just left my first post on new members section..

I have a 40 year old 7 foot EAgle Claw fiberglass Rod and a MADE in USA phulger ( ? sp) medalist.

I have been itching to get new Gear..

went to a shop friday night and the guys were very helpful. From that visit I was told to buy a 9ft. 5 weight rod. I liked the Winston passport..

Next I stopped at another shop Monday and they had great stuff also.

( EDIT ) I drive past the Natchug every day & camp at Peppertree several times a year so that type of river will be my main fishing spots .

How the HECK do I decide what to buy ???

Steved
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steved,

There are a few members here that fly fish, I also.

So, 1st question -> What do you expect to be fishing for mostly? -> Trout, Panfish, etc.
And where ....Lakes, ponds, streams, rivers?

2nd -> My all time favorite rod I prefer is a 6 weight 8-9 ft.-> The rod can handle dry flies down to #18 or Streamer flies 3 inches and larger, and also poppers for Bass (especially Smallmouth's) -> Will also handle those big breeder Atlantic Salmon they stock in the fall in the Naugy! Very Happy

The 6 weight line will handle well and big flies/poppers in a stiff breeze which is why I like it!

3rd -> You can always go lighter with a 5 weight line for a more delicate presentation or go up to a 7 weight line for heavier use.
No need to change rod .

Oh! My all time favorite dry fly (in all sizes + colors) is a Bi-visible -> brown, gray, and grizzly -> Imitates many different insects.

Love to fish a 3 inch Streamer when others are fishing midges during the dog days of summer.
The big Trout won't chase around after those tiny canapee size flies -> You have to throw them "meat & potatoes" -> Can't tell you how many times a Big Brown would charge out of his hole like a torpedo to smash my streamer.
The best part is to see the look on the other fly fisherman's faces who are only catching the little guys ! Shocked Laughing Laughing

Let me know if you need additional info!

PS: DO NOT get rid of the Eagle Claw rod or reel -> That's a super rod for Shad and other hard running fish!
Old "Gaddabout Gaddis" used a fiberglass rod all his life, on everything, and loved it Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule number one when buying a rod - rig it and cast it. If the shop won't let you, go to another one.

SD asks the right questions. What and how do you plan to fish? A 9ft rod will offer up plenty of flexibility, especially when nymphing. Now it may be too big for those trips to Class 1 wild trout streams, but you can do just about anything with it. AS SD said, you can go up or down a line weight many times without to much hassle and problems with the rod. I nymph a ton and the longer rods come in handy with helping to keep the line off the water so I fish a 10' and looking for an 11 and currently fish a 4wt nyphing and it has handled some decent trout up to 20inch holdovers'. I also have a 9' 5wt that I Love as an all around rod. I nymph with it, streamer and dries.

One thing to do is look at reels that allow you to change out the spool or cartridge so you can have multiple lines for the same reel with just a quick change. This allows me to carry sinking or sink tip lines, as well as floating or specialty lines and they change out quick and fit in my vest.

Also when looking at the shops, check to see what they have for last years models and ask for discounts. JT's Fly Shop in Union has a list of last year model rods on sale right now at good prices. They also have a pond out back and you can try before you buy.

Here is a link to their rod/reel clearance sale list: http://jtsflyshop.com/2011clearancesale.html. The folks up there are great to deal with as well.

Good luck.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: