CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws
Viewing Topic: Massachusetts Regulations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Massachusetts Regulations Reply with quote

My understanding is that we must comply with Massachusetts fishing regulations when fishing in the Congamond Lakes. Therefore, "not more than two hooks may be used during periods of open water fishing". However, the definition of "hook" under the Massachusetts regulations is different than it is under the Connecticut regulations. In Massachusetts, "hook" is defined as follows:
Quote:
Hook means an angling device which is attached to a fishing line and which is designed to take one fish at a time, including, but not limited to, devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs, or plugs, the purpose of which is to capture the fish by enticing it to take the device into its mouth, thereby engaging the fish upon it.

Does anyone here really know what this means? For example, is a hard stickbait with three treble hooks on it (e.g., a big Rapala Original Floater F11 with three treble hooks) considered to be a single hook under this definition?

I thought that the Connecticut regulations were hard to decifer, but they're crystal clear compared to the Massachusetts regulations. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Massachusetts Regulations Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
For example, is a hard stickbait with three treble hooks on it (e.g., a big Rapala Original Floater F11 with three treble hooks) considered to be a single hook under this definition?

The way I read it I would say it is considered a single hook because it's all on one lure designed to take one fish at a time. You got me thinking though. Does this also mean no lead when fishing there? From what I understand that is a MA regulation also
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, I'm pretty sure that all Massachusetts fishing regulations apply in the Congamond Lakes, including the prohibition on lead. Here's the relevant Massachusetts regulation:

Quote:
4.05: Taking of Fish in Interstate Ponds Lying between Massachusetts and Connecticut.

(1) Persons duly licensed or otherwise entitled to fish under the laws of this Commonwealth or the State of Connecticut may fish in all portions of the following named waters.

(2) Massachusetts laws and regulations relating to fishing shall apply to all waters of Congamond Lake (Southwick) and Hamilton Reservoir (Holland). Connecticut laws and regulations relating to fishing shall apply to all the waters of Colebrook Reservoir (Sandisfield), Perry Pond (Dudley), Muddy Pond and Breakneck Pond (Southbridge).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info! I knew about the MA regs being followed on Congo but I just remembered about the MA lead regs.
hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco.........I have never heard of a "no lead " law in Mass. Lived on congamond for 25+ years and never heard of that. The hook rule should read more like a line rule. Two lines per person per Mass Regs. Meaning you cant troll by yourself with a four rod spread. As for the hooks.........yes you can use a jerkbait with two or even three sets of trebles on it. There is no rule that says you can not.
FYI.................in 25+ Years of having congamond as my back lake and fishing it 1000's of times I have never been checked by anyone. They just arent out there checking guys fishing. They are harldy ever out there and when they are its busy weekend or holiday weekends chasing drunks around.

P.S. Lake sucks for bass Rolling Eyes
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this...

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/fishing/lead_sinkers_loons.htm
hoppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting that up. Being that law is very new I did not know about it.
Thanks for the heads up! Looks like Mass is following suit with some of the other states. CT next??
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy - The prohibition on lead in MA is so new that the CT DEEP is including it in the 2012 Anglers Guide.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops.......didnt grab a copy of the 2012 CT guide.
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the no lead law is now in effect in Mass, just moved here from Mass. All our old fishing friends are complaining about the new law. Because Congamond is more in Mass than Ct, the Mass laws override. Also it is more of 2 lines not 2 hooks that's followed in Mass, we've been checked at tournies on many different bodies of water and were told no more than 2 lines in the water at once, even though you're only allowed one line in the water for most tournies. It feels good to be talking open water fishing boys and girls, doesn't it?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoppy wrote:
oops.......didnt grab a copy of the 2012 CT guide.

Laughing Right now, there's only an incomplete draft available online:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/anglers_guide/anguide.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god forbid I do something illegal Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Rules & Regs , Saftey Notices, Recalls, & Laws All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: