CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: Newbie with More questions for my training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steved

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Newbie with More questions for my training Reply with quote

First off I want to thank all who have already commented on my quest to buy gear and start getting back into this hobby. JT's got my business friday night and I could not be happier. Great guys all three that worked with me and I casted a lot of rigs to aid in my decision... Thanks again..

I was at the abutment on the Willimantic Sat this weekend twice & yesterday.

First off -- Sat around 3:00-4:00 some guy gave me a brown Copper top nympth he said he makes, and it was working real good for him & he was going home. .. THANKS it caught 6 trout Sat & Sunday. It's starting to fall apart so I will Hit JT's tonight and see if I can match it up. ( what is your name ?? )

Next another guy who was fishing all day long Sat. just downside of the abutment on the other side ( from rest area side ) said we was using a stone above & stone below .. What does that mean ??? He said he was catching a lot of fish so any tips on what you were using would be great.

I never had so much fun wearing rubber pants and waving a stick ( Quote from another guy I talked with ) .

What a great bunch of guys I met and those who helped me here..

Fun weekend Thanks all.

Steve
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI steved,

Belive that fellow was talking about using a "stone fly dry and 1 wet"
Did he tell you what size he was using?

So did you get a new fly rod - what weight and length?

Oh! Suggest you get a wading pole to help you from slipping on rocks or slimy bottom.
You can get a nice hardwood one at your local "Ocean State Job Lot" for around $10.00

Have fun!

SeaDog1
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

He could have been fishing a dry/dropper setup. That is where you fish a dry fly and then tie a dropper nymph off of it (either the bend of the hook or a dropper tag). This gives the fish two choices to either hit the dry or the nymph. If they hit the nymph the dry works as an indicator or float and you set the hook. The dropper nymph could be fished at different depths just by adding or removing tippet from the dropper. Great way to fish when fish are taking dries and emergerers.

If he is nymphing then it is the same concept as above, except he is fishing with two nymphs under the surface of the water. Nymphing with multiple flies allows you to get different offerings into different depths of the water column depending on how you are rigging them and if one is heavier then the other.

You can fish two streamers even, Sometimes tying a small nymph on and tie a tag of tippet to the hook bend and tied on a streamer looks like a fish chasing a nymph.

Do a search on youtube or the web and you will find plenty of info for rigging up this way, or stop up at JTs and have them show you.

BTW, Steve at JT's can custom tie that fly for you and they charge the same price as the other flies. Pretty darn good deal if you ask me.

Here is a link with some pics that shows the double nymph rig under an indicator. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part40.php

Here is a link to booniecat's video feed and he has I believe 20+ videos if fly fishing instruction. It is old stuff but very useful. http://www.youtube.com/user/booniecat?feature=watch

Hope this helps!
Jim

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: