CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: New to fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelts9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: New to fishing Reply with quote

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm a complete novice (fished a few times) so I'll be asking some questions regarding equipment.in the coming weeks. I just got my license to fish in all waters, so the next thing to do, is get some gear.

I live in Shelton, and have access to a boat, but I'm very keen to explore lakes and ponds all over the state.

Thanks for reading.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from someone who works in Shelton.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CTFT and the sport of fishing
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome neighbor! I am a stones throw away in Derby.
ripline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome shelts9.

Ask away, hopefully someone here will be able to answer your questions.

Try to stop at TC Marine on River Rd. They may be able to help you out with some info as well.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
shelts9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I apologize if i'm posting this in the wrong section.

I've been researching rods and reels but I'm not sure if I should get 2 rods, one for freshwater and one for salt water. As a beginner, is this necessary, or is there an alternate solution?

Now on to reels... should I start off with a spin caster or spinning? Can I use the same reel for both rods?

If anyone can recommend a great starter combo, i'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important to have different setups for fresh and saltwater. It also depends on what types of fish you're fishing for, the size of the fish that are out there, structure in the area you're fishing, and the size and weight of lures and bait you're throwing.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than researching for different types of lures and bait, it's also good to read fishing reports to see what people are catching the fish with.
ripline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rod/reel choice is all going to depend on your target species and price range.

I know you are from Shelton do you plan on;

1) fishing the lower river for stripers?
2) Lake Hous for bass?
3) Farm Mill for trout?
4) boat/shore or both?
5) the sound?
6) lures or bait?

I'd recommend you stop in a tackle shop and ask a few questions as well as put some gear in your hands. Make sure they feel right to you.

I'd be willing to help as well but need a little more info. I have a ton of gear but if I could only choose 1 rod/reel it would be a 3500-4000 class spinning reel and a 6'6" or 7' rod Med Heavy. Way too heavy for trout, ok to heavy for bass, ok for schoolies, light for chucking salt bait and big stripers and big blues from shore.

Send me a PM if you'd like and we can get more specific once we have an idea of your target.
shelts9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ripline,

I've only lived in Shelton for 5 years, so I was planning on a mixture to get out and see the sights, but after learning about all the different equipment, I think I need to just narrow it down so I can get our there and learn. I tend to get ahead of myself.

I'm going to find a couple of local places where I can catch either trout or bass to start with. Once i have more knowledge I might branch out and try catching different fish. I'll adjust my set up accordingly.

So now I know what I want to catch, I should start looking into the different types of bait/tackle used to catch bass or trout?

Would a medium action 7 foot rod, with a spinning reel be good to start with?
ripline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem getting ahead of yourself, enthusiasm is a good thing!

If you are going to stick with bass/trout possibly go with an even shorter rod if you want to fish streams.

The Farm Mill is a nice place for trout but like most trout streams is a bit narrow so a long rod isn't necessary. Nells Rock has a bass and trout, Pink House cove on Lake Hous (rt 34 Derby) for bass, perch and other panfish.

Stop in TC Marine on River Rd in Shelton and take a look at the rods & reels they have in stock. See what feels right to you and ask them questions. Great people and very helpful.

I am local so let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get into some salt water let me know as I went a little crazy last year and bought more then I really needed as far as salt water poles and reels and would be willing to get rid of 1 set up very cheap to a new guy. Its a decent set up and will last you a long time. 9' pole med. Heavy with a bait runner reel. Ive caught stripers on it and blues.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: