CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Striper Lures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjg1681

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Striper Lures Reply with quote

I am returning to fishing and going after stripers for the first time. I am going out for my first trip next week and was wondering what types of lures I should be using for this time of year. I am looking at going to the DEP docks in Old Lyme and am not sure what to throw. Additionally will those same lures/baits work in the CT river as well? Is it too early for topwater lures or am I better off throwing softbaits? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9" black/red and also the white sluggos work great. 2-3 ounces poppers for top water. Anything resembling a bait-fish or an eel will work fine, just make sure its weighted enough for the spots your throwing.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
kjg1681

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! Can you explain the "weighted for where I'm throwing"? Do you mean in a heavy current throw a 4oz sinker, for example?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically if your throwing a small lure meaning not heavy and say your in the sound on a windy day its not going to go very far and youll throw your shoulder out as thats all uoull be doing all day is throwing 20' versus throw a 3 ouncer that is designed for aerodynamics and will trsvel 200'. Its also kind of hard not to throw to far when your using that same lure across a small channel and uoull be in the woods on the othersise. In other words youll want a variety of weights and colors, mainly a light color and a dark color. Darks are better at night typically believe it or not.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
kjg1681

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the advice!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallow plugs ranging from 3" to 8" work great. Smaller ones are good for the smaller fish while using a schoolie setup. Bigger plugs will get the cows to hit.

9" black Sluggos imitating an eel get those cows!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: