CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: powerbait rigging?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: powerbait rigging? Reply with quote

How should i rig powerbait i caught 0 fish on it yesterday. I just need a good rigging technique a picture would help. I rigged it yesterday with 4 lb mono and then tied on a size 8 eagle claw snalled hook and then put 4 split shots above the line . But clearly that did not work so how should i rig power bait for the bottom? Embarassed
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right, that stuff is very hit or miss IMO. I personally have terrible luck with that stuff and actually never caught anything on it ever until yesterday as nothing else was working. Only caught 4 value menu fish sticks with it but better then getting skunked!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, you don't wanna do that...

when you have 4 split shots on the line, sure, it's enough weight to get the bait out nice and far. but it's whats happening underwater that you don't see that's effected by that...

Try this: powerbait generally has just enough buoyancy to lift your hook up off the bottom. even a hook to big can weigh it down. so a size 4 is a good spot to start. and make sure you have a good quality sharp hook.

now when a fish grabs your bait, sometimes they inhale it and bolt off, but most of they time they dont. if they try to swim away and feel those split shots draggin across the bottom, they'll spook and spit it. so to get around it, you wanna use an egg sinker. you can get em up to a half oz or bigger, so distance is not a problem. you can do one of two things to rig em up: A) but the egg sinker above a swivel and hang a leader off the swivel. or B) use just a hook with the egg sinker above that and use a BB size split shot to keep the egg sinker from slipping down to the hook.

Using a swivel is good because you know exectly how long your leader is but you can't change the leader length without re-tying. the split shot allows you to adjust your leader length, but it can slip on the cast. If you're usin a 2ft leader and not hittin em, shorten it to a foot. or vice versa. I usually use two rods, one with a short leader and one with a long. Generally one rod will get more action than the other, so i change the one thats not gettin hit to a leader length to match the other.

using the egg sinker allows the fish to feel no resistance and eat the bait with confidence. as the line slides thru the weight, the tension of the line goes straight to your rod and you'll see more bites. probably hook up with more fish, seeing as how you hooked up with zero...

hope this helps. let me know how it works out for you.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not a big fan of power bait (dough type), but keep some handy when nothing else works.

What I use though is some of those spawn mesh squares to put the power bait in.
Works great and holds the power bait together and not melt off exposing the hook.

SeaDog1
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in when I use to fish for trout I used P-bait the best rig i ever came up with for bottom fishing it was take a #10 treble cut points of 2 hooks then make a pear shape lump of the dough around the hook cover it competly tie a spit ring to end of line at 12 in. leader to treble hook then add 18 -20 inch leader of 1-2 # mono with a knot at the end to split ring add weights to this line when fishing bottom if the weights snag up the 1-2 lb leader snaps off easy you dont loose every thing ..this rig will keep bait off bottom worked like a champ for me ...even when bobber fishing or free floating the bait this treble trick keep bait on ...screw the preformed lumps just not cost efective get like 3-4x as much same price if you buy the dough good luck let me know how it works for ya ....... P.S this cast a little funky long slow side arm works best
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like using powerbait for small ponds. there's been times where i find the color that works, and the bit is so fast and frequent that i cast and just hold the rod. hook up within 10-15 seconds.

there's a time and a place for everything i guess though

RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rig a barrel swivle to the end of my line, then I tie a 2-3 foot leader (depending on depth) with a #8 gamagasu octopus hook (tied to the same loop as your line) on the other end of the barrel I tie about 4 inches of other line for the split shot. This rig is almost a "drop shot" of sorts, the good thing about it is that it allows the bait to lift off ot the bottom and if it snags the weights pop off and you don't lose your rig. I would recomend switching to tin split shot for this seeing as there is already too much lead shot in our rivers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I rig a barrel swivle to the end of my line, then I tie a 2-3 foot leader (depending on depth) with a #8 gamagasu octopus hook (tied to the same loop as your line) on the other end of the barrel I tie about 4 inches of other line for the split shot. This rig is almost a "drop shot" of sorts, the good thing about it is that it allows the bait to lift off ot the bottom and if it snags the weights pop off and you don't lose your rig. I would recomend switching to tin split shot for this seeing as there is already too much lead shot in our rivers.

except for useing a barrle swivel and hook type pretty much same rig I mentoned ....so it works for otheres aswell there ya go
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use that same rig, more or less. a "traditional" drop shot rig, if you will.

small ponds with a berkley trout worm on about 3ft of leader. if you twitch it like crazy but not enough to move the weight much, that worm dances like a son-of-a-gun.

find the color they're hittin on and you'll crush em

AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: rig Reply with quote

I second the egg sinker small BB style, and also the pear(teardrop style) to mold the bait. The egg sinker with BB is so easy to set up and is adjustable. If you use good line(4-6lb fluoro) you shouldn't need a leader. Most snags will break at the weekest point, usually where the hook or weights are, so there is not necessarily need for a leader. More knots = more chance to lose a fish, and more work for you to do. Molding the bait with the line pulled tight and getting out all the creases is important so that it doesn't fall off the hook when casting. A small treble also helps. When fishing for stockies in a trout pond with this style, your biggest challenge will be finding a good spot, and making sure that powerbait isn't falling off the hook when you cast it out.
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i cant provide any photos, but you can rig it like this. 1/4 egg wieght, slide it up the line, then put a split shot- ONE ONLY- a foot away from the hook, then use a size 6 hook. then just put the power bait on. There you go, you should post the photo when you do this so i can see if its right
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: